Hi guys, as I mentioned in a different post my d3 4.0TDI has a hot starting issue. It starts first time every time from cold, but after a run it rarely does and needs a boost from a seperfate battery in the boot.

I took it to a garage today (APDC in Kirriemuir - great guys and really know their stuff. both ex audi master techs) to get it scanned. Apparently the cause of the issue is that the one of the EGR valves,I cant remember which one, wqs sticking and not allowing the engine to start. What is the process for cleaning it all out? Im happy enough to blank it off and get rid of the issue altogether but what would then be the process for not getting the EML lighting up? The guy at the garage said you can get some sort of resistor or something that stops the error codes but Ive had a look and couldnt find anything. To be honest, engine management isn't a strong point of mine. I'm a mechanical engineer, I like gears and chains and plungers and all that sort of gubbins haha. sensors and actuators and computers arent really my thing.

any help as always, gratefully received, gill