Evening all,

I've owned my Jetta for about a year with no problems whatsoever. It's only done 45k, but I'm not sure when or if the cambelt had been changed, so I had it done a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days later, the engine light came on. It was the evening before I went away and was still running ok, so chanced it and used my car. I covered about 500 miles and was still running ok, but the engine light stayed on.

Read the codes when I got back and got P0018 and P0342, which relates to the camshaft position sensor. It had started to idle a bit roughly since and both yesterday and today it took a while to start, whereas it always had started first time.

My question is that, as it's a bit of a coincidence that this fault has appeared as soon as the cambelt was done and I know that the timing being out could throw a fault, but would the symptoms get worse if the belt was a tooth out or something?

I've ordered a new sensor anyway as it was only £22, so will give that I try. I did also try to get the garage to check the timing today, but they were fully booked, so I'll fit the sensor at the weekend and see what happens.