1. Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys I need some help !!! I'm a typical woman who don't know much about cars and I'm considering buying a golf mk5 1.9 tdi match, it's been brought to my attention that I should be careful and find out what type engine is in it as they tend to throw rods? The car is on an 08 plate, it's diesel.... I know the reg and vin so how can I tell ??? Any help would be appreciated, I know as much about this site as cars but I want to know I'm making the right choice before I part with my money 😕 thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    PM me the reg but it is likely that will be the BXE. They can be prevented from throwing their rods out of the pram by changing the con rod bearings and bolts at 100K miles or so, it is not a difficult job.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 0 0

3. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Yes it is a BXE engine so if you buy it, have the rod bearings and bolts changed.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I know it's not a BXE but my 2009 A3 with the 1.9 BLS engine has just ticked over 170k and touch wood, I've had zero issues with it since I got it with 27k. It had its 17th oil change at the start of the month and passed its MOT without any issues.

Welcome to VWAF

0 0 0

5. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I THINK the problem stems from the stupid longlife oil change intervals causing heavy wear of the upper con rod bearing shell, it would be fascinating if you could get a pair of identical 100K mile cars, one with ten oil changes and one with five and compare the wear on the bearings.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

6. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah ya right vw confirmed this today.... I don't want to be buying a car and then paying out on it to prevent the issue... I just need to avoid this sort of engine I think.... it's all getting a bit too much for me now, I've got a headache from looking at cars I'm having nightmares over bxe engines I think I may invest in a horse and cart !!! I

0 0 0

7. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I THINK the problem stems from the stupid longlife oil change intervals causing heavy wear of the upper con rod bearing shell, it would be fascinating if you could get a pair of identical 100K mile cars, one with ten oil changes and one with five and compare the wear on the bearings.
    For all the price for a gallon jar of Quantum 5W30, a genuine filter and sump bung you'd wonder why people don't change the oil more often!

OT - do you have any experiences with the Passat 3G Bi-Turbo TDI engine? I've just bought one and would be interested to know your thoughts on it, if any!

0 1 0

8. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    For all the price for a gallon jar of Quantum 5W30, a genuine filter and sump bung you'd wonder why people don't change the oil more often!
    Because of a number of reasons, some of which are

Most people are lazy

Normal people don't like spending money on cars

Very few people understand how the oil works and how important it is

A lot of people these days treat cars like white goods and then scream like hell when they break

The manufacturers have made people think it is OK to do 20K over 2 years without an oil change because they have all been trying to get their running costs figures down but not taking account of later damage.

Human beings being what they are, see the oil change at 19K as an advisory and "ahh it'll be oright fut month or so" only to realise that was a year ago when the engine went bang and we can see this from the info stored in the dash. One lass last year was distraught when her engine failed, I asked her when it was serviced last and she said "the last owner had it done", she had owned the car three years and the previous owner had an just oil change a year before they sold it.... 42K miles without an oil change!
    Last edited by Crasher; 14-03-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: Need some help on engine type ! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    and look on here at the whinging and moaning from people that have spent 40 thousand pounds on a car and then complain like a small child when the car requests a service 2 days early and vw have quoted money to carry this out.. thats what you are up against. yet the same people will go and buy a brand new state of the art tv every month, kitchens, conservatories, but god help the car if it ever needs a penny spending on it..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0