1. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob, sorry I havent got back to you sooner.
    Even though the engine idles normally I know the turbo is shot, and possibly much more. It is with the mechanics tomorrow. I have to decide on my options here and you do seem to know what is going on with these engines. I can buy an engine (around 50,000 miles seems to be the norm) for around a grand, it will need a turbo and all the other bits refitted to it. I reckon it will cost me around £3,000 minimum to get the car back on the road. If I can get it on the road for that I will trade it in after a month or so. So in my position would you fit another engine, which has also the potential of the pump fail, or sell the car as a damaged repairable?
    If I had known all this I wouldnt have bought an Audi, or this model!
    Which engine is safe, if I was to buy another Audi? 3.0TDI? Or what car would you recommend, it has to be an estate with a bit of power.
    Many thanks,
    Ron

0 0 0

2. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

3. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear of your predicament Ron, if you were to re-engine the car for 3k or so, are you better not just keeping it, running it a while to make sure the engine is ok, then getting the oil pump upgrade fitted? If you want rid then sale as a damaged repairable would save you hassle and additional cost (DMF, clutch, turbo, possibly on your donor engine). I've seen a pal spend thousands getting a ford engine repaired, only to trade it in losing thousands more in the process.
    See what your mechanic says damage, wise but TBH i'd expect bad news.
    I can't recommend any other car, they all have their weaknesses and faults! it's just finding out what they are and preventing or pre-empting failures. I can't comment on 3 litre tdi's from personal experience but it seems like modern diesels are so complicated and expensive to diagnose and repair and with the current anti diesel sentiment from the government and BBC, their days look numbered. Do you need a diesel or would a petrol be ok? I have looked briefly at octavia vrs estates to replace my estate.
    I've got a 12 year old 1.9 tdi passat estate, been looking to replace it but really not coming up with anything better, the tsi engines have timing chain problems and I'm avoiding anything with dpf, but having just serviced and replaced all the brakes on the passat i'll likely just keep that another year or so.
    Hope you get sorted without too much pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB58 View Post
    Hi Rob, sorry I havent got back to you sooner.
    Even though the engine idles normally I know the turbo is shot, and possibly much more. It is with the mechanics tomorrow. I have to decide on my options here and you do seem to know what is going on with these engines. I can buy an engine (around 50,000 miles seems to be the norm) for around a grand, it will need a turbo and all the other bits refitted to it. I reckon it will cost me around £3,000 minimum to get the car back on the road. If I can get it on the road for that I will trade it in after a month or so. So in my position would you fit another engine, which has also the potential of the pump fail, or sell the car as a damaged repairable?
    If I had known all this I wouldnt have bought an Audi, or this model!
    Which engine is safe, if I was to buy another Audi? 3.0TDI? Or what car would you recommend, it has to be an estate with a bit of power.
    Many thanks,
    Ron

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB58 View Post
    Guessing that's the year of your car? For what it's worth, Audi fixed the issue on the 2010 model and started using 100mm hex keys. Too little too late, I know! However if you can source a 2010 onward engine it should have the new part already in it.

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Rob,
    OK the mechanics called round this morning and started the car, the clanking was still there. They disconnected a connector for the manifold vanes?? and restarted the car, clanking noise was gone. Refitted connector and still no noise. They said the engine sounded sweet with no big end knocking. Oil pressure light still flashing and car in limp mode, no white smoke. They thought the engine in my car didnt have the 70mm shaft but wont know until they get it up on the hoist. Engine number is CAH073577. I wonder is there any chance the sump is sludged up causing a pressure sensor issue?
    Thanks for the info and advice!

Ron

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Don't think it will be a sludged pick up, you might be lucky, keep us posted!

0 0 0

7. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They have the oil pump sorted and full oil pressure now but the turbo is blown. Seems to be around £700 for a genuine Audi one. No engine damage, sump clear and they also cut the oil filter in half to check for metal but none found.
    Ron

0 0 0

8. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    a genuine audi turbo will be from the likes of garret or kkk, whatever was fitted. try places like turbo technics or essex turbo for a better price on the exact same thing. you may be able to get yours rebuilt for even less, but dont go with an inknown bodgit place that will fit a cheap chinese core.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

9. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Essex turbos try them. Been there a few times over the past 25 year's. They know there stuff. They have literally hundreds of vag turbochargers in stock.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: Oil Pressure warning and P0299 code 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers guys, this is all very helpful. The price the mechanics got was from Audi but I will certainly try calling the ones suggested,
    many thanks!
    Am just relieved the engine is ok with no damage.

Ron

0 2 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12