Notices

User Tag List

Thread: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Actually today was the first day I've driven in pleasure since i fitted and its quiet bit perkier. My cars in standard 329 bhp at the moment and it feels not far of the response i had when it sitting at 385 bhp with the other tune i had on it. Its all subjective - still very fast for diesel in standard form :-).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackblack View Post
    Hard to say. Nothing dramatic to note.

0 0 0

2. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How difficult is the intercooler to fit? Presumably the bumper has to come off?

Cheers.

0 0 0

3. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'm assuming quite a bit more than just bumper. Crash bar also then, I think intercooler, rad and AC rad are in one unit.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    This question has been answered many times before. A brief answer is no. The standard air filter supplies excess cold air whereas the K & N does not supply air via the cold intake ducts but from the hot engine compartment and also it's impregnated oil may "oil up" the air mass meter wire and affect it's function. The only advantage of the K & N filter is that it can be washed ( like the old foam filter elements).
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

5. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I 2nd the oil MAF sensor issue. K&N use oil on the filter and this breaks away over time and coats the MAF. They were fine on carb's cars with no sensors but the sensors in EFI systems are very sensitive. I had this on a previous car and spent a long time trying to fault find. I randomly came across a forum mentioning oil based filters, so swapped out the filter and purchased some MAF sensor cleaner and the issues went away (erratic idle, engine revving itself, cutting out on acceleration). The whole air filter upgrade / cold air intake has been tested many times and proven to not make a difference. Go with a good Wix / Mahle / Bosch etc. filter and you'll be all good.

1 0 0

6. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    A lot of the time with oiled filters it's user error when cleaning and re-oiling it. A lot of them just use way too much oil after cleaning. That's when it becomes a problem.
    I have had cars with k&n that's had over 120ks with the oiled filter and nothing has gone wrong.

0 0 0

7. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A6S View Post
    A lot of the time with oiled filters it's user error when cleaning and re-oiling it. A lot of them just use way too much oil after cleaning. That's when it becomes a problem.
    I have had cars with k&n that's had over 120ks with the oiled filter and nothing has gone wrong.
    Agreed. My S4 had a K&N fitted for 50k miles and no problems with the MAF. After oiling and left to dry overnight I'd go over it with the hoover to rid it of excess oil

0 0 0

8. Re: K&N Replacement Air Filter. Any good ? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendaimwari View Post
    Agreed. My S4 had a K&N fitted for 50k miles and no problems with the MAF. After oiling and left to dry overnight I'd go over it with the hoover to rid it of excess oil
    Never thought about using the hoover to remove excess oil. Great method👍🏼

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12