Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

I know that this model has two ways to measure tyre pressure.
    1. direct measurement (with tyre pressure sensor inside rims, can be added with extra cost)
    2. indirect measurement (through ABS sensor, monitoring the rotation speed, included in standard)

My question would be, if I did not order this addition "direct measurement", and I would manage to find the VW original rims with tyre pressure sensors, then would it work in my passat also (showing direct tyre pressures in my dashboard)..?
    Or are there some electronic components inside car also..? (meaning it will not work by default)

Raul

0 0 0

2. Re: Tyre pressure direct measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You should not need to find some more rims. My Passat CC had direct measurement and when new tyres were fitted new sensors were fitted also so a tyre fitter should be able to do this for you at the cost of removing and refitting the tyres. A word of warning - these sensors have brass bodies rather than the more usual black rubber/plastic. Brass can react chemically with alloy wheels causing the sensors to seize in the wheels. I don't know but I'd guess there are no extra onboard components but you'd need a workshop to switch the ECU to monitor direct measurement instead of indirect measurement.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

3. Re: Tyre pressure direct measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I didn't think the indirect measurement actually measured the pressure as a number. Doesn't it just measure that a tyre has suddenly lost pressure and report that through the car's computer with the warning light and indication of which tyre has the problem? The direct measurement actually displays the current pressure and change of pressure through the onboard computer display, so you'd have to make sure your car was programmed to display those readings as well.
    Now: 2016 Passat SE Business Estate | V&C Pack | AID | DLA | TPMS
    Old: 2012 A4 Avant SE Technik | TDIe | Tech Pack High | Foldy Mirrors | TPMS | Heated Seats | Auto Hold

0 0 0

4. Re: Tyre pressure direct measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Correct.
    From where did you realized that:
    I didn't think the indirect measurement actually measured the pressure as a number.

0 0 0

5. Re: Tyre pressure direct measurement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YawnGumbo View Post
    I didn't think the indirect measurement actually measured the pressure as a number. Doesn't it just measure that a tyre has suddenly lost pressure and report that through the car's computer with the warning light and indication of which tyre has the problem? .................
    That's right. I don't think it needs to be a sudden loss just that loss has reached a certain level and that's all I need. If its serious I would expect to be sensitive enough to the car's behaviour. The TPMS on the CC was not as sophisticated display-wise as that on the B8. I didn't want it and it was not standard but the car arrived so equipped. The indirect system can false alarm. I experienced this soon after the B8 arrived. The car felt fine and checking the tyres by pushing against them at the services showed no significant issue and the warning went away on restart.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0