1. Dashcam placement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I am thinking of fitting a dashcam to my SE Business estate and am wondering if there is anything to beware of placement wise so that I don't interfere with the built in cameras.
    Specifically, why there is a big cross hatched area around the rear view mirror because as far as I can see the front facing built in camera is inside the mirror to glass fixing.
    I am wondering if the crosshatch area is a wire reflector to assist with the camera signals.
    Short of a definitive answer I will probably have to experiment by hanging something in that area and seeing if anything stops working or works less well.
    I cant spot anything in the handbook about that area, only stuff about keeping the windscreen clean on the outside for the pedestrian detection etc.
    Additionally, with my heated windscreen, will the GPS get a signal if I choose a dashcam that uses GPS to calculate route and speed?
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by vince47; 25-06-2017 at 07:48 PM.

0 1 0

2. Re: Dashcam placement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I believe the hashed area on the windscreen is the one area which doesn't have anything going through it which might impact signal strength of devices placed on it. So if you have a tag for the M6 Toll, or Dartford Crossings, etc. then you would put it here.

I would think GPS signal would get through a heated windscreen. I've used a portable satnav on our Freelander 2 which has a heated screen.
    Now: 2016 Passat SE Business Estate | V&C Pack | AID | DLA | TPMS
    Old: 2012 A4 Avant SE Technik | TDIe | Tech Pack High | Foldy Mirrors | TPMS | Heated Seats | Auto Hold

0 0 0

3. Re: Dashcam placement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The only rather obvious mounting advice that came with my dashcam is to place it with the lens behind an area of the screen swept by the wipers. Clearly (no pun intended) the lens should be behind clear glass, not the hatched area and preferably high up. I have placed the mount of my Street Guardian SG9665GC as close as possible to the passenger side of the built in camera enclosure with the mount on the hatched area so the lens is positioned a bit below the hatched area. The camera works fine and I have not noticed anything else is affected by its presence there where it has been for 12 months or more. The camera is small and unobtrusive and its cable is concealed behind the windscreen trim and run to an unswitched feed via an anti battery depletion device so it sleeps instead of turning off when the ignition is off. It has a separate, cabled GPS receiver which can be positioned at some distance from the camera and which I have chosen not to install.

YawnGumbo is correct about the placement of toll tags. Instructions for French and Italian motorway toll tags specify mounting in the hatched area.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 1 0

4. Re: Dashcam placement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Has anyone advice on fitting a rear dashcam? I have problems with it falling off - possibly owing to the heated rear window wires?

On the front I have a Nextbase 312 and it is excellent.

(My car a Passat Estate GT 1.8 TSI 180PS)

0 0 0