Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I tried that with my Snap Off laser gauge, it was all over the place with a 20 degree variation from one spot to the other, hopeless. We've got a Q7 in next week for an ATF change but I am off next week.

Ive got lots of snap on kit and have to say its not all the mutts nuts and going by my workmates snap on multi meter last night they arent no good either!
    Any laser temp tool will not work on anything shiny for example brake discs you have to take readings off of the rusty bits on the edges.
    Mines some old thing I bought years ago I always check my hand temp and then the floor temp as a datum and away we go.

The same laser temp gauge worked just fine when I did the oils on my discovery ZF gearbox, it hasnt blown up yet two years later

1 2 0

2. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ok thanks for the replies guys..... sadly I don't have vcds so will opt for the laser thermometer option but am also considering getting a digital thermometer with probe that I can just put into the fill hole of the tranny box, I assume that this may be better than the laser option?

Crasher......"level set hole" ...pls enlighten me...haha yes I'm sure you don't wanna be writing all evening!!

Regarding which oil, I've read that if the gearbox hasn't been updated then it's best to just stick with the lifeguard 6 oil so there's no need to update, also if the box doesn't have any current issues then an update wouldn't be necessary....sound about right? If I can't see a gearbox update on the service history how would I go about finding with certainty if my gearbox has not been updated etc....yes without the use of a VCDS?

She's upto 168k miles and still purring like a kitten, smooth with no issues whatsoever......is it still worth changing the ATF??? Honestly I'm with you guys and don't play into this lifetime gearbox oil codswallop.... though a few folk argued on another site that the oil absorbs the shavings of the worn clutch leading to it actually working more efficiently...and with fresh oil this would be removed thus making the clutch not work so well......ideas pls...yes apart from just laughing!!

When switching between the gears during the ATF change, would it just be a quick flip 20 seconds in each gear (P, D, R, S, N) and then back to P? And how long running the car in total? I've seen a few vids that run it for half an hour!!!

Lastly....sitting at lights etc with it in D....wouldn't that partially wear down the clutch??

Im gonna have a go at changing the oil in the diffs next, though I've read that it's not so necessary in comparison to the transmission...then it's aux belt/water pump/thermostat etc as per gupsterg & b5nuts detailed explanations...oh yeah and the dreaded oily manifolds!!! Roll on the summer!!!

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate you've all got busy lives...this info helps me and many others after me for years to come so give yourselves a pat on the back ....

0 1 0

3. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The level set hole is just that, the fluid drains until it reaches the level of the setting tube which is up inside the drain hole
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    A man of few words Crash, could you not please help with a few of my other queries? Help me help the community that's why we're here isn't it.. or maybe not.
    If anyone can chime in with a helpful tip or two I'd appreciate it and of course Crash I do obviously appreciate your help also, even if your just feeding me help with the little boy spoon....I'm a big boy dammit!!!! ...hahahaha..

0 1 0

5. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lynalldiscovery View Post
    Cheap laser thermometer aimed at the sump will do the trick, tenner ish on ebay.

In the old days putting autos into N and leaving the engine idling caused issues, but I would say 99 percent of people just leave them in D until they park up at the end of their journey.
    Would prefer a tiny thermocouple and dip it into the oil in the filling window, infrared thermometer will need right surface reflection ratio to get the right reading.

0 1 0

6. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yysnet View Post
    Would prefer a tiny thermocouple and dip it into the oil in the filling window, infrared thermometer will need right surface reflection ratio to get the right reading.
    Ive just picked up a thermocouple for free .... so will be using that. Just doing a bit more research and waiting to see if anyone else will kindly offer some tips before I attempt the atf change.

0 1 0

7. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There ain't no filling window, you pump it up from below through a level tube.

I am in a holiday cottage in a foreign country where people talk funny and there are a lot of sheep, both give you strange looks when they realise you are English, the people are suspicious and suddenly talk in a different way and the sheep look relived that we use wellies for walking.......

I tried to copy and paste a link to my photobucket pic of the drain system in cross section but I could not get it to work using my iProd..... it will have to wait until I get back to civilisation.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yysnet View Post
    I found plenty of posts/guides and videos by googling. You may get more hits by inc BMW because they also use a ZF box.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

1 0 0

9. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There ain't no filling window, you pump it up from below through a level tube.

I am in a holiday cottage in a foreign country where people talk funny and there are a lot of sheep, both give you strange looks when they realise you are English, the people are suspicious and suddenly talk in a different way and the sheep look relived that we use wellies for walking.......

I tried to copy and paste a link to my photobucket pic of the drain system in cross section but I could not get it to work using my iProd..... it will have to wait until I get back to civilisation.

Take a short holiday to Wales then did you crash?? hahahaha

1 1 0

10. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    @rowdy-roddy piper Great wrestler....remember him?...died recently I think...don't makem like they used to....... Anyways...I will follow that up re including BMW...(spitting on the floor sound!!)...or better yet David Williams dressed as that old pompous lady character who vomits when presented with anything ethnic...hahaha..
    getting back on point I have dredged up quite a bit re the tranny job..hmmmm.. haha.. and I'm still at a loss as to my query of how to know if my gearbox data (and oil) has already been updated without vag.com to verify it?..

i dont think that that it's connected but my 3.0 the 171kw ( I think) with 233hp has had a chip done on the ecu to achieve 300hp so the seller told me.. I'm contacting the garage that did it for more info as to which chipping was done... would a gearbox update job be done with the chip modification or am I just clutching at straws.....

0 0 0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast