Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yysnet View Post
    Get down and take a look, 23bolt and 13 bolts have quite a differences, you may also see the bolts position designed in the gearbox does not appear in the sump pan. 23 bolts version in between bolts thats about 5cm, 13 version circia 10cm
    Will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Audi A6 Avant 2.7 TDi Quattro Le Mans..... xenon, 19" alloys, bluetooth phone, satnav

0 1 0

2. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Starting the engine for a second or so also purges the box and you can purge the cooler lines with air.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    My simple view is anything you do is better than nothing, Ive changed the sump and filters on a few autos now and tbh the filter is more of a gauze as opposed to a proper filter so only really removes large debris.
    I did wifes last 3.0tdi with new sump/filter and oil and the A6 is getting new oil only and the same next year etc etc
    My disco is the same had new sump/filters and I reckon if you have no current issues all you need is fresh oil for a long happy life.
    Ive done exactly the same on many previous mercs and land rovers and all ran well with no issues.

I genuinely think people over think auto boxes, give it some fresh oil and dont worry.

From memory the ZF in the A4 and the D3 took 5 to 6 litres with sump removed and 3 to 4 litres with just oil drained.

0 2 0

4. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    A couple of people have checked out the specs and say this oil meets all the criteria for the 6 speed and its whats going into my disco and wifes a6.
    Im sure theres cheaper but if I recall correctly this is also backwards compatible.

RANGE ROVER SPORT 8 SPEED ZF GEARBOX TRANSMISSION OIL 8 LITERS LR023288 AG60 X8 | eBay

0 1 0

5. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Regarding changing the tranny oil in a 3.0 tdi tiptronic box, the process doesn't sound too intimidating but I'm left wondering how does the driveway mechanic get around running the engine, changing between the different gears and topping up the level without having a hydraulic car lift??
    Are there madmen out there that do this on axle stands!!? Hell no hahaha.. I've got my 1st baby on the way so don't think the Mrs would like the idea of me doing that!!
    Of course please correct me if I've missed something out.
    My c6 is a 2008 is on 168k. There's no problems with the box, it's running smoothly so I reckon just an oil & filter change. As far as the service history shows it has never had the transmission oil changed.

0 1 0

6. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The car MUST be dead level to start with so axle stands won't work.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

7. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Haha easier said than done in my car park that's on an incline ... I can muddle my way around that problem though I think.
    What would be the simplest way to measure the oil temperature prior to topping up the oil level, without some pricey bit of mechanics kit? Or do you just run the engine for 20 odd minutes for a rough estimate perhaps..
    I know you need to switch between N, D, R and back to neutral, how long would be a good time to run it in D & R? Obviously I'll be there holding the brake pedal down so never feel good leaving it too long in gear with foot on the brake (I'm new to autos...occasionally I still stamp in the brake thinking it's a clutch!!!)
    Even sitting at traffic lights I put it in neutral for fear that I'm damaging it somehow...yes pls correct me on that too if I'm unecessarily worrying.

was considering footing the 300 odd pound bill and getting it done professionally but babies on the way so gotta cut corners! Help appreciated as usual ...
    oh yeah....would something need to be done via vcds after a tranny oil change?...could ask my neighbour as him and his alter ego love a bit of dressing up

0 1 0

8. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The only way to accurately know the temperature of the oil is by reading the measured value block in the diagnostics output, the spec for setting the level is between 30 and 40 degrees and it can warm up so fast that we pull the level set plug at 30 and hope it has settled by 35ish as a few minutes longer and it will be over 40.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

9. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Cheap laser thermometer aimed at the sump will do the trick, tenner ish on ebay.

In the old days putting autos into N and leaving the engine idling caused issues, but I would say 99 percent of people just leave them in D until they park up at the end of their journey.

2 1 0

10. Re: Audi A6 C6 Automatic Tiptronic Gearbox Oil Change Question 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I tried that with my Snap Off laser gauge, it was all over the place with a 20 degree variation from one spot to the other, hopeless. We've got a Q7 in next week for an ATF change but I am off next week.

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 1 0

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast