1. Question V5 04 Beetle Serpentine Belt Replacement - Route 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, My wife has the above 'monster' and it threw the drive belt this morning, (PAS failed, battery light, on shortly followed by red temp indicator). She managed to limp home and I've got a new belt arriving in the next hour or so. Problem is the belt is nowhere to be seen and the limited space means the routing is not clear, has anyone got a diagram of the correct route for the belt? I've searched the www for Hrs but no luck.....

0 0 0

2. Re: V5 04 Beetle Serpentine Belt Replacement - Route 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Possibly same as VR6? I'd also look into why it chucked the belt in the first place - is the tensioner knackered, water pump seized etc and is the alternator sprag clutch seized

1 1 0

3. Re: V5 04 Beetle Serpentine Belt Replacement - Route 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many many Thanks, picture helped enormously. The trouble with the beetle is you cant see anything except the top of the tensioner, and there's so little room you can only just about feel your way around. I checked all the bearings and everything seem to be free running and no noises, i suspect the failure was due to cr4p getting up under the bottom cover and getting between belt and pulley. We live at end of a dirt track and my missus uses the accelerator as a switch, either on or off ;-)

0 0 0

4. Re: V5 04 Beetle Serpentine Belt Replacement - Route 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    OK fair enough, my missus used to perform random gear changes between 5 and 6 as boredom relief! She's only got the 5 to choose form now.
    just check the tensioner isn't bouncing and the new belt flapping around at tickover, that's a sign of the alternator sprag clutch being seized, easy to check this while the belt is off. Make sure the belt is also installed into into the pully grooves correctly so it's not running out of parallel if you get my meaning, tricky to see when it's so tight.

0 0 0

5. Re: V5 04 Beetle Serpentine Belt Replacement - Route 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All checked and running no wobbles or bounce and all in line. Ended up taking emissions box and pwr steering fluid res off just to see the belt contact surfaces were clear. Thanks again.

1 1 0