1. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I think it's throwing some codes again so all that's working is the beeping for sensors. Back to the car I go after dinner!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    This is getting frustrating now, so all the cabling is as it should i believe:

can H and L going into pins 22 on can breakout:

MMI black and transparent pins going to pins 5 and 11 on blue connector:

Looking at the wiring for the camera the color coding doesn't look perfect to me(red should be positive and connected to red in my mind!)

Maybe the wiring loom i got is made wrong! I got it from vag navisystems. These are the instructions i got:

Another possible issue is that my control unit is too old for my car? Part number is 4G0907441 which is showing as control unit for reversing camera system, D >> - 15.11.2010

This video shows what im getting:

https://youtu.be/BeZk4yhAh2c
    Last edited by buddyboy; 28-02-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: add video

1 1 0

3. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I tested the cabling there is approx 6.5v going to the camera, im not sure if thats correct or that it should be getting 12v. The control unit is getting a 12v supply, at this stage its looking like a faulty control unit module, i guess thats the risk you take when buying used from ebay. Im looking for getting new replacement module cheapest i have seen is 330 euro +vat

0 0 0

4. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    At least you've got video, which suggests your coding is ok. If the camera wasn't sending video I'd still expect to see the on screen guidelines so it does suggest either the ccu has a problem or video isn't getting from the ccu to the Mmi unit (dodgy cable?)

I don't know what voltage the camera runs on - I'd expect 12v but as the ccu supplies power it could be anything. Did you test the voltage with the camera disconnected - if there's a fault the voltage could drop under load.

Can you patch the camera video cable directly into the Mmi video cable, bypassing the ccu (and connect the camera direct to 12v if you're feeling brave)? If you get video then that would prove your cabling is ok and the ccu is dodgy. Note - this is entirely at your own risk - although it shouldn't I can't guarantee it won't fry something!

0 0 0

5. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I get 6.5v with the camera disconnected from the CCU so 6.5v is getting as far as the connector just before the short camera loom connector, as you said maybe this is correct and the CCU steps down the voltage supplied to the camera.

The loom could be dodgy or crimped wrong. I might try see can i bypass the CCU but im not sure anything would display as there would be no signal from the CCU to tell it to switch etc, this is all just guessing at this point!I have sent a few emails off to see do any places that sell the retrofit kits have a CCU going cheap thats working properly. Its probably the only way to easily rule out the CCU as bad

0 0 0

6. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
    I might try see can i bypass the CCU but im not sure anything would display as there would be no signal from the CCU to tell it to switch etc, this is all just guessing at this point!I have sent a few emails off to see do any places that sell the retrofit kits have a CCU going cheap thats working properly. Its probably the only way to easily rule out the CCU as bad
    As long as you leave the ccu connected (except video) and powered on you should get video from the camera if you bypass it because switching is done via the Can bus. The can signal tells the Mmi unit to display whatever is on the camera video input - it doesnt care what's feeding it. In fact it might even be the parking sensor control unit that does the switching, the ccu may only listen for steering inputs so it can show guidelines.

1 0 0

7. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    i Bought another control unit i found on ebay, but im not sure its compatible, i think it came from an A8, i get a coding out of range error when i try to code it for the a7, ill have another go at it today with update VCDS software on my vmware

0 0 0

8. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I re-checked the canbus cabling and twisted the can bus wires around each other a bit more but the breakout plug back together and it did work for me briefly

I get the camera view displaying on the screen but can only use the top right function button to switch between the two reverse modes. I no longer see the OPC diagram. Then it stopped working again! So im possibly getting interference from something or some loose cabling. At least its a positive sign the control unit isn't faulty like i first thought!

0 0 0

9. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice. I have followed your guide and it worked for me just perfectly. I had an issue with parking aid but now I solved it ( I removed a tick from it and the camera started to work). The question is someone knows in hidden menu or vcds how can I make so I could see the car emblem with PDC locations? Once i restarted mmi it showed up but not more
    Last edited by leowings; 23-10-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: update

0 0 0

10. Re: C7 rear view camera retrofit 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi
    Can you let me know which fuse you used for power
    I have highline camera the control module is inside the camera.
    I connected to permanent power supply fuse 4 in fuse holder ST-3 and noticed the handbrake indicator comes on every few seconds and clicking noise from handbrake module...
    When I disconnect camera, it's ok
    I try connect to different permanent power supply not make different

Untitled.jpg

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123