Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Not sure if this is the place to post, but I've just signed up to the forum so I'm new forgive me.

Last night my car (Audi A1 1.4 TFSI 185ps) started up fine, i got about 200 yards down the road, slowed to almost a stop before pulling out at a junction, i accelerated for another 50 yards or so until the engine had completely cut out, the red battery light was illuminated. I coasted to the side of the road & switched everything off, took the keys out & started the car again & it was fine. I was able to drive home about 3 miles with no problem & have been to work this morning with no issues either.

I did a bit of googling & the battery light indicates a problem with the alternator but can anyone confirm?

Any idea what this is a problem with? Should I be worried? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by audiA1-185ps; 15-02-2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Mistake

0 0 0

2. Re: Red Battery Light - Engine cut out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to VWAF

What year is your A1?

Edit - Ignore that, we've only got the one A1 section - thread moved!
    Last edited by Sam; 16-02-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Red Battery Light - Engine cut out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    63 reg UK

0 0 0

4. Re: Red Battery Light - Engine cut out 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hi
    So are you saying the red battery light was lit while you limped along for 50 yards, or it came on once the engine had died? It is normal for it to come on once the engine has stalled but ignition is still on. If it was on while the engine was running then yes, it indicates a charging problem. Can you check alternator out put voltage across battery terminals with engine running, should be around 14.5V, 12.5V with engine off, check for loose battery terminals clamps.
    Could be any number of things why the engine lost power and died. I hate to say it but a full diagnostic scan would be good starting point if you can eliminate the basics.

0 1 0