1. Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Hi... our Q7 is going to be with us soon, in Orca Black. We are refusing all of the dealer add on such as autoglym tyre protect etc and I am going to get the car detailed instead. I have a found a good local detailer and he is recommending the following new car package -

Outside protection - paintwork prepped, polished and sealed with a long lasting wax coating. Or I can upgrade to a nano sealant which is more durable.
    Glass treated with water repellent coating.
    Alloys treated with high temp resistant wax.

He also offers leather seat treatments and carpet/mat treatment.

Will the nano sealant be sufficient? I have heard people talking about ceramic on here? Also have people bothered getting the interior done? Our dealer threw in Guard X on the interior of our Q5 but I don't know if this has made any difference... in fact I think it's quite difficult to remove marks off the leather (e.g. any milk marks from our youngest son when he was a baby seemed to just stick to the leather!).

I have never used a detailer before (although in hindsight I wish I had for the Q5). So any advice would be really appreciated...

0 0 0

2. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    I did the same. I got a detailed in Essex to apply SiRamik glass coat and he also treated the interior. 3 day process!

Detailer will also probably recommend the dealer doesn't clean the car or remove protective coating as they tend to inflict most of the damage that needs to be polished out!
    Former Q7 owner

0 0 0

3. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you are planning on keeping it for a while I would recommend Gtechniq crystal serum. Makes the car a breeze to keep clean (useful on black!) and protects it from swirling if you use local car washes. It is a accredited only product and will cost about a grand to apply this and protection to wheels, glass, and interiors. Depends on where you are based on the detailer

0 1 0

4. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I'm finding washing up liquid, a QD sponge and an old chamois are working quite well. I am thinking water may make a bit of difference also.

In all seriousness I don't get too hung up over paintwork 11 months of the year and then I set aside a weekend to do a full stage 3 with my DA polisher, the paint always ends up looking like glass.

I have never been a lover of treatments favouring a good polish and wax.

Pitch
    HIS - XC90 D5 R Design (sorry, had to be done)
    TOY - 2001 Westfield 2.1 SEW,172bhp SOLD TO MY BROTHER, I needed a PANERAI.
    HERS - 'R' New 7spd DSG and 310 rampant ones. 4.2 off the mark will do nicely

0 0 0

5. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm picking up my car next Tuesday. I have arranged for a detailer to come in to the dealership and prep the car for me. Going with Gtechniq. Crystal Serum Black with 2 coats of Exo v3 on top. Also coating the wheels and glass.

0 1 0

6. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
    I'm picking up my car next Tuesday. I have arranged for a detailer to come in to the dealership and prep the car for me. Going with Gtechniq. Crystal Serum Black with 2 coats of Exo v3 on top. Also coating the wheels and glass.
    I don't think yo can go wrong with

Gyeon or

Gtechniq

CLS black topped with exo
    C5 for wheels (best of ever used just wash with shampoo nothing else needed) get some wheel woolies
    C4 plastic trim
    G1 for glass the water just rus off

not really sure on best stuff for leather didn't really get on with L1
    i ended up using LTT auto leather care kit (the leather care company)

get yourself
    some buckets
    grit guard
    wheel woolies
    good wash mit
    good drying towel
    some good micro fibre cloths (long and short pile)
    glass cloth either short pile or fish scale

if you want to know few good makes to use in shampoo etc and discount codes just ask or message me

M

0 0 0

7. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pitch3110 View Post
    I'm finding washing up liquid, a QD sponge and an old chamois are working quite well. I am thinking water may make a bit of difference also.

In all seriousness I don't get too hung up over paintwork 11 months of the year and then I set aside a weekend to do a full stage 3 with my DA polisher, the paint always ends up looking like glass.

I have never been a lover of treatments favouring a good polish and wax.

Pitch
    I bet you take the misus tea towel and floor mop as well? Lol

M

0 0 0

8. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I think my garage may look just like @maxw's. I've got everything now. The wife would go mental if she knew how much I'd spent on detailing gear!!!! Saved a fair bit with @maxw's discount codes. Thanks again mate.

I went for a DIY prep and protect with CQuartz ceramic. A lot of work but so worth it. I haven't had many opportunities to clean the car for ages so I had 6 weeks of grime and grit all over the car. Just did a quick (2 hours ha ha) maintenance wash and the car has come up like glass again. Worth all of he hard work. Gutted I didn't take any before and after shots. Coatings are the way forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Detailing advice... 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thakey17 View Post
    I think my garage may look just like @maxw's. I've got everything now. The wife would go mental if she knew how much I'd spent on detailing gear!!!! Saved a fair bit with @maxw's discount codes. Thanks again mate.

I went for a DIY prep and protect with CQuartz ceramic. A lot of work but so worth it. I haven't had many opportunities to clean the car for ages so I had 6 weeks of grime and grit all over the car. Just did a quick (2 hours ha ha) maintenance wash and the car has come up like glass again. Worth all of he hard work. Gutted I didn't take any before and after shots. Coatings are the way forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    pleasure and glad to help

you wouldn't beleave well you might

on how many cloths and drying towels and mits I have also loads of glass cloths

for many years now and growing it been the same thing sealant or wax wax or sealant

im not sure what one but you have to look at it in a bigger way

Thakey said

if it's a work horse and don't get washed for a few weeks at a time or harder wearing coating all the way

but if your more hands on there is still a place for a wax plus wax tends to water bead better where coating tends to sheet

look wise on a wet morning wax wins to look at if it's your thing

coatings are more perminant hard to remove and renew yet last often a couple of years
    wax tends to drop of after 3-6 months so really it's a strip back relax twice a year

if you have plenty of time and enjoy detailing go wax if. Your a busy man want good protection go costing

hope this helps you guys?

M

0 0 0