1. MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well I think my MMI control knob is on its way out, only working when apply extreme force to select items. The scroll function is ok just the pressing in to select that's playing up. Anyone else come across this and how hard/easy is it to change the button?

0 0 0

2. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Stating the obvious, but have you checked there's nothing underneath the button obstructing it? E.g. dust/dirt, bits of fluff etc. The button doesn't have much travel so it wouldn't take much to block it.

Apart from the start button, the whole MMI control panel that surrounds the gear level is one part (I've had mine out of the car before) so replacing the button means a whole new control panel, which won't be cheap. However. it isn't too hard to remove yourself - take the gear-lever surround off, remove any screws you can see and pull hard (but not too hard because the wire to the start button is very short!). If you do remove the panel, the car will throw dire warnings about a handbrake malfunction when you refit it - don't have a heart attack (like I did) - cycling the handbrake on and off a couple of times with the ignition on is enough to fix it.

Personally I'd wait until it's unusable and then try taking the control panel apart and cleaning it - best case scenario the button under the knob is dirty and a carefully placed application of contact cleaner will fix it. If that doesn't work you'll need a replacement control panel, so you're no worse off!

0 0 0

3. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've blown some under it and noting came out, it feels completely normal to operate but obviously isn't making contact properly.

0 0 0

4. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Tripletrouble Guest
    You could, as a last resort and before replacing it, squirt some contact cleaner in there?

0 0 0

5. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah guess I should order some, nothing to loose. Going on my cars reliability it will no doubt be broken, never owned a car with so many problems as this Audi. Let's just say it my first and last, such a same because the car is a lovely drive but reliability is just beyond a joke.

0 0 0

6. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi How old is the car my 65 plate had a similar issue, you could feel grinding when rotating. went back to dealer they cleaned & oiled it with a kit from Audi. It is something they are aware of happening, and was told if it returns they will change the unit. All ok now was done about 6 months ago. You could try WD40 to start with. Good luck.

0 0 0

7. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine is an old car unfortunately 62 plate, the button feels absolutely fine. Moves freely and can feel a positive click when you press it. I guess it's just not registering the electronic signal when it's pressed.

0 0 0

8. Re: MMI control knob broken 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Hi All Well the knob has started to stick down at 3-4 points on its rotation. Into the dealer and is being replaced with a whole new panel under warranty ( Nov 2015 reg) Looking on line it appears to be around the £400 price mark !!!
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 1 0