1. Help, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All, Can anyone suggest what I may need to do to repair my 2005 Audi A8, 4.2 petrol? It has 94,000 miles on it. Here is a brief list of the order of events.
    1. The alarm started going off randomly some weeks ago but the remote still worked to stop it and the vehicle ran fine.
    2. Drove to work one day and all good but would not start in eve.
    3. Called out the AA roadside assistance, 2 men couldn’t start it and even changed key battery.
    4. As it was still at work the next day, I tried it while waiting for the recovery transporter and it started and ran normally.
    5. Took it home and parked it.
    6. Next day it wouldn’t start
    7. The remote key fob does nothing, electric windows don’t work nor central locking. The dash lights up when opening the doors and shows the mileage, radio works as do the interior lights
    8. The key in the ignition has no response
    9. I examined the passenger footwell and it had a pool of water which I have now dried out. It will need the drainage tubes cleaning but the car is under cover in the meantime.
    10. I did disconnect the battery so it did not flatten until I had time to look at it and it was unconnected for about 4 weeks but kept on a trickle charge system.
    Any help would be much appreciated as I am no technical wizard and can only do basic jobs. Feel free to call and have tea and cake whilst looking at it. Lmao. Thanks Guys
    Regards
    David

0 0 0

2. Re: Heeeelp, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi David,

Sorry to hear this - water ingress is a real pain...

There are various control modules located in the passenger footwell - I suspect your water ingress has probably killed one of them. Best guess would be the control access module which would account for the central locking and key fobs not working.

If you're really lucky, you might be able to pull back the carpet, dry the units out and check/replace any blown fuses and see if things start working again. Sadly, however, I suspect you're going to need to get the codes read to determine what needs replacing down there.

Also, whilst you're under the passenger footwell carpet, replace the air suspension relay if you haven't already - cheap preventative maintenance as eventually they bridge which keeps the compressor running resulting in a new compressor.

Good luck!

1 0 0

3. Re: Heeeelp, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you so much for your assistance, I will have a look at your ideas at the weekend. Would you happen to know if it is possible to take it out of park and to release the handbrake with no ignition lights? it would be so helpful to be able to move it. Regards, David

0 0 0

4. Re: Heeeelp, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I suspect the only way to release the electronic parking brake without electricity would be to remove the electronic mechanisms from the two rear calipers - they are held on with a couple of bolts each.

As far as getting it out of park goes, there will be a shift lock over-ride button hiding somewhere. I can't remember exactly where it is for the A8s but it may be buried under the ashtray - try searching the car's instruction manual for 'shift lock' as it's bound to be mentioned somewhere. In the event of electrical power failure and needing to trailer the car, it must be possible to release it.

Final issue will be the electronic steering lock - unfortunately I don't know how one would deal with that!

0 0 0

5. Re: Heeeelp, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    or get it recovered and tell them its in park etc, they can bring a flat bed with some trolleys. jack it up, trolley under each wheel and winch it aboard. job done.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 1 0

6. Re: Heeeelp, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think Zollar's got the right answer there :-) Possibly not as much fun as trying to circumvent all of the safety/anti theft features on a D3, but almost certainly more sensible!

0 1 0

7. Re: Heeeelp, Audi A8 non starter 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    it will cost though, most recovery companies charge for the use of trolleys, all depends if you have recover and who its with. if its a cheap aa policy then you will more than likely need to pay, if its an all in package from someone like GEM then you probably wont.. get onn that phone and find out..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 0 0