1. Key locked in boot - Audi A8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all - I thought I would share my nightmare experience yesterday and my lesson learned which will hopefully make others aware.

So here we go, I have a 2007 Audi A8 D3 with keyless go. On the way home from work stopped off at the petrol station to get some cash out, put my car keys into my ruck sack and dumped it in the boot (assuming keyless go would be fine with keys in the boot!) and drove off. I had to stop off 10 mins later to collect something from the shops so when I stopped the car got my parking ticket and went to try get the key out of the boot it wouldn`t open! All the doors opened fine but the boot was still locked and the button on the drivers door wouldn't even open the boot! I tried to re-start the car but got the message key not present! I thought for f**k sake what do I do? My mind was blank and I didn`t know what to do so panicked and called Green Flag who were going to send a technician to me to try and unlock the boot. I also don`t have a spare key which made things even worse.

At the same time in my mind I was thinking to myself whether I did actually put my keys in my bag and not dropped it when I went to the petrol station as surely the car would have detected the key in the car?! So I took a cab to the petrol station to try and look for the key and of course it wasn`t anywhere plus it was raining so made me even more miserable. So came back to my car, and then realised after some google searches there may be a ski hatch in the back seat. So I proceeded to lower the rear arm rest, take away a few layers of trim and low and behold I could see through into the boot.

Managed to grab my bag, pulled it through the opening and low and behold my keys were in my ruck sack. Felt like I won the blooming lottery!

So moral of the story is never leave your keyless go keys in the boot of the car, as there is a chance it won`t be detected later on! Plus I think I will get a spare key made and swallow the ******* cost for doing this .

It is a little weird the car let me start and drive the car off but I guess this was a technology quirk I could have done without yesterday.

0 0 0

2. Re: Key locked in boot - Audi A8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Pretty certain this can be changed on the coding so it gives you about 30 seconds to realise your mistake. Well it definitely is available on the Skodas so must be able on an audi

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Key locked in boot - Audi A8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is something wrong there, the boot shouldn't stay closed if the key you are using is in the boot, there is a boot sensor there to check for this.

I've had a problem where the boot just kept opening itself a few moments after I'd shut it, with me getting more and more insistent, until I stepped back and thought why it was deliberately doing this. Looked in my rucksack in the boot and there was my key.

It is OK if you put a spare key in the boot, just not the one you are currently using. Very clever these cars. I have confused the car, and me, by driving off without my key because my wife has hers in her handbag inside the car. Once she gets out, I don't have a key!
    2006 A8 4.2 | Adaptive Cruise | Bose | BT | Pwr Doors | Satin Nappa Lthr | 20" Alloys
    Xenon Plus | Analogue & Digital TV | Comfort Seats | Sport Suspension
    Heated MFSW with paddles | Solar-Panel Sunroof | Electric Rear & Side blinds
    Heated F&R seats | Auto Boot Lid | 1-touch Mem | Advanced Key | Inside & Outside lighting pckge
    Retrofitted |Towbar |Rev+Front Cam |
    MMI 5570 |AMI |2014 Maps |Illuminated sills |RSE |S8 CF Trim |TPMS

0 0 0

4. Re: Key locked in boot - Audi A8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micha_elD View Post
    There is something wrong there, the boot shouldn't stay closed if the key you are using is in the boot, there is a boot sensor there to check for this.

I've had a problem where the boot just kept opening itself a few moments after I'd shut it, with me getting more and more insistent, until I stepped back and thought why it was deliberately doing this. Looked in my rucksack in the boot and there was my key.

It is OK if you put a spare key in the boot, just not the one you are currently using. Very clever these cars. I have confused the car, and me, by driving off without my key because my wife has hers in her handbag inside the car. Once she gets out, I don't have a key!
    I may try this over the weekend in my A7 as I have the spare key but with the A6, I did something very similar. In my case, I could not physically shut the boot lid. If I closed it, it just popped back open. Maybe it was the placement in both our cases where yours was too far in who knows but it certainly did not let me close/lock
    Audi A7 Black Edition 3.0 TDI (272) 2015 (FL)

0 0 0

5. Re: Key locked in boot - Audi A8 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    OP alludes to this and says "if it is not detected" - sometimes when driving my car will say "Key not in vehicle" because I too many metal keys and coins in my pocket etc...
    The same could happen in the boot, you could put in in with a Macbook on top or suchlike.
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0