Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    HELP NEEDED URGENT PLEASE
    Replacing cambelt from scratch, have all the relevant tools etc, however, just not familiar with diesel locking tools.
    Have inserted the Crank locking tool at where I thought was TDC but crank only locks one way ie. Clockwise.
    Question: I assume it should be a positive lock in both directions so obviously I am not on TDC.
    There is no belt on at the moment so cannot rely on cams etc (Don't ask, long story).
    Are there any markings to help me or is it trial and error 1/4 inch rotation at a time until it locks both ways?
    Cheers in anticipation

B Positive

0 0 0

2. Re: 2.5 TDI TDC locking tool 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The hole is in a crank web and it is a solid lock. I use my little finger and a 1/2" breaker bar with 24mm 12 sided socket BUT take great care, It would be easy to rip the end off of your finger! I got mine trapped once (on a petrol V6 but it's the same) and I thought I was in trouble for a moment and it hurt..

Left cam with vac pump off

Right locking plate with bung removed

Pump pin

Tensioning pump belt

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: 2.5 TDI TDC locking tool 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers Crasher,
    Thanks for all that info, I would have thanked you earlier but am working on it outside and was fighting against the light.
    I followed your instructions, how you get a finger in there beats me. I used a piece of welding rod and lying on my back could just feel and turn the crank at the same time.
    Belt is now on, all timed perfect but need to assemble a couple more bits before I know the extent of any damage.
    The power died off whilst my wife was away for the weekend, she called the AA who put on a new battery (what a surprise) and then continued to crank the death out of it whilst it struggled to run very badly.
    AA man said there is an injector problem and described the noise as Diesel knock and relayed the car to a near by garage who did much the same before they noticed the belt was slack.
    Idler and tensioner had broken up, ball bearings all over the place but the belt was still in one piece.
    I told the garage to leave it and transport it back to me. So I get a car in bits, no belt, no pulleys, everything in the boot, hence the questions.
    Had the offside rocker cover off and all looks ok as far as it is possible to see.
    Just need to assemble far enough to see if she runs and keep my fingers crossed.
    Thanks again
    B Positive

0 0 0

4. Re: 2.5 TDI TDC locking tool 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I have an Allroad coming in this week, I am taking the job over from a friend who is ill; it has a reported knocking noise but he can't find it and I can't even hear it! I did the belt on it for him about 6 years ago and he did the belt again with cams about a year ago using Febi parts I supplied but the cams look fine. We will see what is making the noise hopefully some time this week. The trouble with these cars now is anything serious and the car is scrap, the only reason my friend is repairing this Allroad is his lady customer loves the car and doesn't want to lose it at almost any cost and so it is with these now, a labour of love. Unfortunately in three years time the cars will be useless in most major UK cities like Nottingham, Leicester, Derby when these new emissions regulations kick in, I mean who is going to pay £10 each time they want to bring the car inside these zones? Non EU6 diesel and non EU4 petrol vehicles are going to become worthless overnight.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 2.5 TDI TDC locking tool 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    You are dead right.
    That is the case with this quattro. We use it for towing, to replace it with similar could cost thousands obviously. I paid £1500 for this 6 months ago and put the tow bar on, its low mileage so worth doing but refuse to pay someone thick end of a grand to fix it when I can do it my own time.
    Will be able to pick these up for peanuts in a vouple of years

0 0 0

6. Re: 2.5 TDI TDC locking tool 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Pos View Post
    You are dead right.
    That is the case with this quattro. We use it for towing, to replace it with similar could cost thousands obviously. I paid £1500 for this 6 months ago and put the tow bar on, its low mileage so worth doing but refuse to pay someone thick end of a grand to fix it when I can do it my own time.
    Will be able to pick these up for peanuts in a vouple of years
    Hi there,
    How did you get on. I have a similar issue, and can see two rocker fingers have broken. I just wondered if you had any valve damage.

Best regards
    Andy

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

0 0 0