1. AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Does anybody know if it os possible to change the cam-belt on a c5 A6 (AWX) by just removing the radiator and gaining access this way, or is bringing the front end into the service position the only real way of doing it?

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 1 0

2. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Havn't done it myself but....

Did have the front off to change the radiator and electric fan.

Looking behind there I was contemplating the belt change as mine is nearly ready for it. I'd say really just no, for the 20 minutes or so it takes to pull the front or remove it, I would just remove it.

Fog lights out, securing bolts out, lift the sides off their clips and thats about it - really is that easy.
    2003 Audi A6 Avant 1.9 tdi Sport

0 2 0

3. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I've done belts and pumps on a few AWX B 5 passats, not sure if there is much difference in room on an A6 ( I doubt it) but I reckon the grief you'd have trying to get in there without being in the service position would not be worth it vs. the bit extra work in moving the front forwards, or better still remove the lock carrier completely and swing the AC condenser round out the way on the hoses. This gives you full on access for doing the pump, setting belt tension etc. unless you pay yourself by the hour, take the bit extra time to get the main belt / pump job done better!

0 2 0

4. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    why would you even bother messing about taking just the rad out when the car is designed to have the front removed to make a belt change so easy. i have watched people struggle like crazy, so easy to pull the front off.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

1 2 0

5. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Must agree with zollaf, service position any day of the week... takes about 45 min to get the car in the this position, home on your back.. I done the cambelt on my 2003 AWX in November... took just over 4hour and that included a lunch break, YES home on my back...

0 2 0

6. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If it's that easy and quick to get into the service position the I totally agree. Wasn't challenging, just wondering, having looked at the more open slam panel design relative to my previous Passat B5. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 1 0

7. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest, the first time I done it... I made it really hard work... just take your wheels off as well as the plastic inner wing trims.. six torq screws on the slam panel, three nuts on each side under the headlamps, two long vertical bolts holding the bumper bolts.. slide in two its of bar, or in my case a longbar and torque wrench and edge the bumper back.

I think that it

0 1 0

8. Re: AWX Cambelt Change 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dablade View Post
    To be honest, the first time I done it... I made it really hard work... just take your wheels off as well as the plastic inner wing trims.. six torq screws on the slam panel, three nuts on each side under the headlamps, two long vertical bolts holding the bumper bolts.. slide in two its of bar, or in my case a longbar and torque wrench and edge the bumper back.

I think that it
    Thanks, if its that simple. No debate! Looking forward to getting started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 1 0