Morning all,
about a 6 weeks ago on a cold morning I inserted key and it was unable to unlock the steering wheel, the console read "Please take load off steering wheel". nothing would come on except for the radio, meaning handbrake was unable to be released. jiggled around with key and nothing, rang garage (not a AUdi dealership but a run by ex audi dealership head mechanic who knows his audi's and i would consider the next best thing to a dealership without the silly prices ;-). Called for a tow but that was proving difficult due to handbrake and how car was parked. tried it one last time and key went full turn unlocking the wheel and able to start car. Also disconnected battery, and swapped key, neither of which did anything, trying to man handle the steering wheel did nothing either.. Its happening again and very stressful when getting kids out to school in morning,
I did get it to the mechanic and the issue did not repeat itself whilst in their care and noting logged on ecu, result = waste of money getting a rental for a couple of days.

NOTE: the wheel goes to 'locked' when I park up car and turn it off, it auto locks- is this the norm as some comments on web they mention they can turn the steering wheel, in my case it is impossible as it is locked.
I think it seems to happen more and more in cold weather, battery is fine. its a a2.0TDI with 120k on clock,

any ideas what is causing this, i have looked online and see I am not alone but nobody follows up posts on a fix/resolution

many thanks
Tom