1. A3 Convertible, water in boot. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My wife's 2009 A3 convertible is letting water into the boot. I noticed it yesterday, the carpet on e boot floor was damp, after taking the spare out of the boot, there was approx 1-2 inches of water in the spare wheel well.
    I dried everything out yesterday, thankfully it rained all night, so when I looked this morning, it seems to be coming in on the left side of the boot, there are a number of cables & what I assume is the roof motor making it difficult to see exactly where the ingress is, anyone got any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: A3 Convertible, water in boot. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello,
    I was just wondering if you got to the bottom of this.... I have a Golf convertible which is nearly the same car with different clothes on and it appears to have the same problem.

Thanks
    Steve

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 Convertible, water in boot. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie78 View Post
    Hello,
    I was just wondering if you got to the bottom of this.... I have a Golf convertible which is nearly the same car with different clothes on and it appears to have the same problem.

Thanks
    Steve

Hi Steve, I did solve the problem, firstly there was a rubber grommet right in the left corner of the boot, quite hard to find. I drilled a hole in this, used epoxy glue to attach a 3inch piece of rubber fuel pipe to the bottom of the hole, & re inserted into the hole, this allowed any water to drain away without allowing spray to come in.
    However, I then think I found the reason water was getting in. If you remove the rear wheel & the plastic wheel arch protector/cover, you will see a short (1 inch) rubber tube that comes from the top of the now visible wheel arch, this is designed to drain water from the top of the wheel arch onto the top of the plastic cover you have just removed. This rubber tube was not properly seated within the hole, and allowing the water to run down the top of the wheel arch in the boot, and subsequently fill the boot with water. I replaced the tube using silicone sealer, & had no more water coming into the boot.
    First check if the rear of the wheel arches you can feel at either side of the boot are dry, if one is wet, that's your starter for 10.
    Hope this helps.
    Paul

0 0 0

4. Re: A3 Convertible, water in boot. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Paul,

I'm having the exact same problem and its looking like its coming from the same area, I was looking at my boot this evening trying to work it out and didnt want to be taking the trye off the car when its this dark so ill save it for another day, if my problem does match yours.

When you say "rubber grommet right in the left corner of the boot" do you mean this:Drawing.jpg
    Attached Images

0 0 0