Hi all,

So After changing my spark plugs, #4 had an extreme build-up of white ash, despite marginal oil consumption. All other plugs looked healthy. So seen as white ash is typically caused by burning oil I'm planning on changing the valve stem seals on all intake and exhaust valves with the head on the car using the rope method. I plan on taking off the head to decarbonise and polish the piston crowns and combustion chambers (which have heavy deposits) and relap the valves during the summer, so for now I just want to do some preventative maintenance.

My question is, should I replace any parts of opportunity now (except the oil seals which is a given) or wait until the head is off ie. Springs, spring seats, keepers, lash adjusters etc. I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance so I'm conflicted on what I should replace, if anything, until I take the head off. I don't want anything wearing out due to neglect, nor cause an imbalance to the cam or combustion process. Based on back of the envelope calculations it will cost £90 per cylinder to replace all the OEM valve components minus the actual valve which I'll attempt to lap.

I would take the head off tomorrow and replace and clean everything but seen as I only have £100 to spare today I could either replace all valve components for cylinder 4, or all the springs, or all the adjusters for each cylinder... you get the point. I wouldn't mind spending £90 every few weeks and going in to replace each of the valve components week by week but I don't know if that is advisable. I have plenty time to spare and the tools needed so taking on and off the rocker cover every 2 weeks or so would be fine in my case. I'm just conflicted so I could use a few wise words from experts in the trade

02 A3 8L1 BFQ 8V 1.6L SOHC 120K miles

Plug #4
20170104_123746.jpg

Plugs 1-4 bottom to top as removed from engine
20170106_195424.jpg