Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimlk View Post
    What will happening if I continue to use the car?
    Eventually it will jump and **** a valve or six. The engine you have isn't much use, if you have the skills and facilities, I would pull the box and fit a new set of chains and adjusters.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: Ticking noise, A6 2.7 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ok.. Opened up the upper right hand chain cover. Seemed like it was some slack in the chain. Thougt, why not, and changed the tensioner. Started the car up and, presto, new BAD sound. More like a knocking sound. Sendt the car to a garage. The mechanic checked the timing and made shure everyhing was ok with that. He used a stethoscope to try to localise the fault and he checked measuring values with engine running. The sound seems to originate from somewhere under the oil filter. The injector on cylinder no. 2 has has erratic values. Seems like it supplies more than twice as much fuel as the other five. He tried to disconnect an cylinder at a time, as his manual said this would be okay. I know it is not.. Already told him. But, it did not help. He heared the engine slowed down and ran on 5 cylinders. In the clip you can hear the engine. Not a sound I like. He thaught that maybe one of the big end bearing was shot because of the knocking sound. What to do?

https://youtu.be/JsUsYXrJsOs

0 0 0

3. Re: Ticking noise, A6 2.7 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Can't make it out on the recording but from your description I would say the somehow the balancer shaft has jumped a tooth or two and the weight is hitting a crank counterweight which I think it can do if it is out of time but I have never experimented that far, just got the job done. These engines are getting to the point that even a small issue is the end of the car if it has to be fixed professionally.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 2 0

4. Unhappy Re: Ticking noise, A6 2.7 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimlk View Post
    Ok.. Opened up the upper right hand chain cover. Seemed like it was some slack in the chain. Thougt, why not, and changed the tensioner. Started the car up and, presto, new BAD sound. More like a knocking sound. Sendt the car to a garage. The mechanic checked the timing and made shure everyhing was ok with that. He used a stethoscope to try to localise the fault and he checked measuring values with engine running. The sound seems to originate from somewhere under the oil filter. The injector on cylinder no. 2 has has erratic values. Seems like it supplies more than twice as much fuel as the other five. He tried to disconnect an cylinder at a time, as his manual said this would be okay. I know it is not.. Already told him. But, it did not help. He heared the engine slowed down and ran on 5 cylinders. In the clip you can hear the engine. Not a sound I like. He thaught that maybe one of the big end bearing was shot because of the knocking sound. What to do?

https://youtu.be/JsUsYXrJsOs
    Hi Kimlk, I have exactly the same noise as the 1st video you sent and . Did you findout the real cause. I took it to a garage and they don't think it is the chain and said sounds like exhaust / emmission / pressure problem or hole some where. Thanks

Audi A6 2.7 tdi ticking noise - YouTube

0 0 0

5. Re: Ticking noise, A6 2.7 tdi 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badchi View Post
    Hi Kimlk, I have exactly the same noise as the 1st video you sent and . Did you findout the real cause. I took it to a garage and they don't think it is the chain and said sounds like exhaust / emmission / pressure problem or hole some where. Thanks

Audi A6 2.7 tdi ticking noise - YouTube
    Really late reply, but no. I found the usual injector leak that vents trough the designed hole i the head, but not what caused the ticking. Pulled the engine out, lined up everyting, found slight misalignment in camtiming, and refitted engine. Still no joy.. Buy used engine and try again.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12