Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We per my other thread about preferring an FSI over a TDi - I'm just wondering how much one should expect to pay for the DPF on a 3.0TDi to be cleaned our or replaced?

Also, if only ever doing only short journey's, how long before the DPF gets clogged up?

0 0 0

2. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    A genuine DPF is £1440, a decent aftermarket one about a third of that and a clean of an original, about the same, Then a days labour and gaskets. Avoid the V8 TDI, if the DPF's and cats on those (2 of each) get blocked it is an enormous job as you have to lower the engine/gearbox down to get them out.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's very helpful indeed Crasher. Thank you.
    A pity as the 4.2 TDi looks like a beast. Given the miles we do and the cost of DPF cleaning/replacement then it seems a 4.2 FSI would be the better option. Any opinions on these engines in general?

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Great (if you can find one) until they break when having been driven for 100000 miles with only 4 oil changes which is not uncommon, then the car is throw away. On fun job on the V8 TDI is the DPF pressure sensors, instead of being up in the right top corner of the engine bay on a bracket, they are mounted to a large frame that cradles over both sides of and is bolted to, the top of the gearbox; whoever thought that was a good idea needs a propshaft sticking somewhere the sun doesn't shine! Sideways....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Great (if you can find one) until they break when having been driven for 100000 miles with only 4 oil changes which is not uncommon, then the car is throw away. On fun job on the V8 TDI is the DPF pressure sensors, instead of being up in the right top corner of the engine bay on a bracket, they are mounted to a large frame that cradles over both sides of and is bolted to, the top of the gearbox; whoever thought that was a good idea needs a propshaft sticking somewhere the sun doesn't shine! Sideways....
    I read about those sensors, another thing that put me off the 4.2TDi. When you say about oil changes on the FSI do you mean the Audi oil change interval is supposed to be 22-25K miles and people stick to this servicing routine? Or is there something more sinister?

I don't think I get any of my cars go beyond 5K miles without fresh oil and filters. I like to do my own servicing when I can.

0 0 0

6. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    sounds like someone designed them never to be changed...
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

7. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEi View Post
    do you mean the Audi oil change interval is supposed to be 22-25K miles
    In theory it is every 19000 miles as a maximum, the problem is even that is pushing it way too far, the oil has nearly turned to water by this point and then people grind the poor things on for thousands of miles more miles. THE most sensitive parts of the these engines are the timing chains, they really can't cope with what they are being asked to do. What they really need is an oil change (using long life) at no more than 9000 miles and to really help them survive, half that! If VAG went back to timing belts it would help enormously in the ability of the oil to last the distance. When I first started as a VW grease monkey I had to do oil and strainer (yes, strainer) changes every 3000 miles and if you didn't, you would be lucky if your engine made it to 50000 miles before the bottom end was pounded out, not many years earlier than this, if you made 100000 Kilometers (yes Kilometers so 62000 miles) on the same engine, VW presented you with a gold tie pin as a celebration! It is not that many years ago that a VW magazine (which is still going) had a 100000 mile club where it was of great interest if that was on the original engine or not, the trouble is, these days people treat cars like kitchen appliances but then moan like hell when they go wrong. The infernal combustion engine is a near two century old design and has only changed in minor detail in that time, it still needs care and the oil is it's life blood. Yes oil has chnaged beyond recognition in the last 25 years but not enough to cope with what is being asked of it. If it hadn't been for EU regulations dictating the removal of ZDDP from oil, we would have no cam chain or flat tappet lifter wear issues.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for that, it sounds a lot like every other modern car company. Sell long life oil as a marketing ploy and then try and up-sell a new car before it has problems further down the line.

I don't mind high millage cars so long as they have been looked after properly and there isn't any timing chain rattle.

Out of interest, is the timing chain/tensioner/guides replacement on the 4.2 FSI an engine out job or can you get away with removing the front end in it's entirety (or just parts) and gaining access that way? I helped do this on my Jaguar V8 and we got away with access after removing the rocker covers, rads and front end bits/plate.

0 0 0

9. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    LongLife oil isn't a ploy in fact it's better quality , the LongLife variable interval is the ploy .

0 0 0

10. Re: How much should you expect to pay for a DPF replacement/Clean? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nicely put Gazwould.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast