1. Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, not too sure if this is the best place to post if not please move to correct section.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the engine listed above? Current issue with the car is that the diesel is mixing with the engine oil, when i go to measure the oil on the dipstick theres a good 10" of diesel/oil mix. My question is what could have caused this to happen? as the car was driving normally up untill when it cutout.

Lift pump in the rear seat failed 4 days previous, i had took it to a local mechanic and he had done the repairs and dropped it back to me, unfortunatly when doing the job he said that he was unable to source a VW lift pump, so he salvaged another pump that he had lying around im unsure what manufacture of pump it is, but the assembly looked simular, he took off the float from the vw and wired it up. All seemed to be working fine when i got the car back, actually felt like there was more power going to the car, possibly just imagining that though.

My question to you is, if the lift pump is not a VW brand, could this in theory of caused my engine to be overfuelled? the mechanic is adamant that he has done nothing wrong, and that its impossible for the lift pump to overfuel as its only supplying the fuel to the secondary pump in the engine bay. But would it be possible if the pressure (PSI) off the pump is more than the VW could this cause the over fueling? Im going to have to connect it to VAGCOM to if it will tell me the pressure of the current pump i believe vw lift pump operates at a 6-8psi.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as ive dumped over £1500 lately. Gearbox,turbo,clutch flywheel etc cars costing me too much and now that diesel has mixed within the engine, im quite sure that there's some major damage that's been caused would i be best just replacing the engine like for like? I look forward to your opinions guys, thanks!

0 0 0

2. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    either tandem pump leaking fuel into engine or failed injector seals. and yes if this pump operates at a higher pressure it can cause problems, why the heck did he mess about rather than just buy one from vw.. ??
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

3. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    these pumps are known to fail regularly, i couldn't source one locally for a few days & i needed the car back, do you think vagcom will be able to tell me the PSI its operating at? botch job i know.. it just seems strange that this was replaced and four days later my car is filled with diesel lol. mechanic has basically washed his hands of it

The car was sumped around a month previous, and had to get a new turbo fitted friend of mine said the seals could of been damaged when this happened.

What would you recommend i do? i was thinking of replacing the tandem pump, cleaning the engine out and change the oil to see if i can get it running just dont want to be forking out alot of money on it so close to christmas, thanks for the reply much appreciated.

0 0 0

4. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    the in tank pump is a small low pressure jobby. if he has fitted a pump from say a petrol injection car then it may cause problems. i would be finding out what it is first as yes, after 4 days its leaking is a bit strange. vcds wont tell you but its easy enough to rig a fuel pressure gauge up to it.
    and no, i wouldnt be changing anything until this is sorted, and no, breaking the sump wont cause it to hapen.

0 0 0

5. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How hard is it to diagnose if the tandem pump is knackered? any tell tail signs before hand? or do they just go

0 0 0

6. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    never known one go, but stick too much pressure into it and it might. they wear out or they leak diesel out, but yours is an unknown entity. first thing we need to knwo is find out what pressure this new pump is putting out ??

0 0 0

7. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    never known one go, but stick too much pressure into it and it might. they wear out or they leak diesel out, but yours is an unknown entity. first thing we need to knwo is find out what pressure this new pump is putting out ??
    Going to ask about tomorrow see if i can get a reading and take it from there, hard to get anything done so close to the holidays everyones so busy. bad timing to say the least, thanks again for the replies!

0 1 0

8. Re: Vw bora 1.9 asz 130 engine failure / over fueling 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    no worries. thing is, the tandem pump put out about 100 psi to the fuel rail and injectors. if this new pump is off something silly then it could put out more than 100 psi so could have blown the tandem pump seals or the injector seals. we just dont know. if a proper pump was fitted then it would be safe to say change the injector seals.

0 0 0