1. Re: Speed related Hum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks for your comments. I cannot believe it is tyre noise having swapped the tyres about with no effect. Surely the noise would sound different if from tyres ? It would sound more from one end of the car than t'other and the difference would be noticeable when swapped front to back.
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

2. Re: Speed related Hum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Last time I had to find a noisy wheel bearing was on a pal's touran, he had to drive it with me sitting in the back seats, sticking my head out of the windows on each side as he drove along, then sitting in the front with head out window, his wasn't particularly noisy as it had just started to hum, but we pinned it down to OS rear. I've also incorrectly replaced front bearing on a polo I had after choosing the wrong side! It can be tricky to pinpoint which one.

0 1 0

3. Re: Speed related Hum 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I took the car to my tyre man who holds a set of my Summer wheels and tyres and we put those on, which did not cure the noise.
    Next it went on the lift and was run up to 40mph and one of the mechanics went under and listened. He and his mate pronounced the front near side bearing noisy.
    Today they fitted a fresh bearing and that cured the noise.
    A good outcome demonstrating how difficult it can be to identify a noise.
    The only unfortunate bit was they when they went to re-fit the Winter tyres they found a bulge on one so that has to be replaced.
    Many thanks for all of the helpful input from you chaps.
    A4 B8 143 Tdi S Line Saloon 2008 (Gone)
    Lotus Elan SE 1991
    A4 B8 170 Tdi Quattro Technik Avant 2011
    A4 B8.5 143 Tdi S Line Black Edition Saloon 2013(gone)
    A4 B8.5 Allroad Sport Nav 2.0 tdi quattro 2015

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

1. Whine - pitch road speed related
    By funkyspider in forum Audi A4 - B6 Forum - 2002 - 2005
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 25-10-2015, 12:48 PM
  2. Speed related audio volume
    By Alex jb in forum Audi A4 - B8 Forum - 2008 - 2015
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 26-08-2014, 07:19 PM
  3. Please Help Speed related overheating - why?
    By Mikeybs in forum Audi A4 - B5 Forum - 1995 - 2002
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM
  4. Please help! Speed related small vibration through car
    By jcdub in forum Audi A6 - C6 Forum - 2005 - 2010
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM
  5. Speed-Related Whine
    By kid-jensen in forum Audi A6 - C5 Forum - 1998 - 2004
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 11:11 PM