Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi

I have a 56 plate V6 Allroad, owned for nearly two years now and it has recently started to develop what looks to me to be signs of a leak in an airbag. I took it to a local motor engineer and they suggested replacing the compressor pump - which was duly carried out but has made no difference. I then belatedly started looking at this forum and now realise that I may have wasted some cash - but hey at least my compressor is new. I'd be grateful for some help - I have read around the threads but am not quite sure where to start.

This is the story:

I have had four episodes of the rear suspension sinking down onto the bump stops. The first time it happened I got the flashing yellow and green lights when I switched the car on, and they quickly went away once the suspension pumped up again. The warning lights went off and all was well. I then had the compressor changed.

Now, intermittently, the rear suspension sinks, and it looks to me as though it's the rear passenger side that sinks first. The car would normally be in the "Automatic" suspension setting, and it always pumps up quickly once I switch the engine on. So far, the rear suspension seems to stay fine for a few days and then randomly collapses overnight. There are no warning lights when this happens. The suspension moves quickly between levels once pumped up.

How easy is it to access the airbags with the soapy water spray? can it be done without a Pit or ramp?

I'm not equipped to work under the car but I do have a sympathetic guy up the road who would happily do what needs to be done as a result of this enquiry.

Many thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

I actually joined before I purchased my A6

OK an earlier year, but don't think the technology has changed.

Replacing the Rear Air Suspension on the 2000-2006 Audi allroad quattro with Arnott Parts - YouTube

It does look like a lift would make things far easier, took me all of 30 seconds to find this vid
    Last edited by MarkTM; 28-12-2016 at 08:47 AM.
    XK8 96 Dyno'd at 305 and LPG converted, a mere 65ppl
    A6 07 3.0 quattro tip SE Limo, black,black leather/tints /black alloys/towbar/Alientech Eco Remap/quads/Rear DVD screens/Pogo Alert+

1 1 0

3. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    If the car always sinks when parked in "dynamic" the lowest setting, but doesn't sink when left parked at Automatic or higer then this is 100% an airbag leak, the rears have a gaitor and are hard to get soapy water onto the actual airbladder

I run a C5 and its the same theory for airbags, they leak at low levels due to how the rubber bends and if you bend perrished rubber the cracks are open and so air escapes, but lift the cars height, the cracks move upwards to the flatter section and so close and stop leaking

best regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

2 1 0

4. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Check this thread here A6 Allroad 2006 rear suspension dropping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2006 Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI Tiptronic

0 0 0

5. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Andy - much appreciated. Airbags purchased and on in the new year.

Richard

0 0 0

6. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Footfang,

Andy passed the same words of wisdom to me and was spot on - https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?p=947784 is a write-up on how to change the airspring (sorry, no pics) it's not hard

2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Avant, Maroon SOLD
    2000 A4 B5 2.5 TDi Quattro Saloon, Blue SOLD
    2006 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi, Blue - getting ready to get rid of
    2008 A5 3.0 Tdi Quattro Coupe, Grey
    2010 A6 Allroad 3.0 TDi, Blue

0 1 0

7. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to bagpipingandy and his excellent posts I was able to fix my leaking rear airbag (A6 Allroad 2007) Replacement part ordered from Aerosus and fitted by my local garage all for half the price of of a main dealer, thank you Andy.

0 1 0

8. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    No problem, glad its all working as it should again.

Best regards

Andy
    ------------------------------------------
    2001 Audi A4 Saloon 2.0
    2000 Audi Allroad 2.5TDI V6 quattro
    Fully licenced Ross-Tech VCDS Interface
    Air Suspension Compressor Repair Kits: www.bagpipingandy.com

0 0 0

9. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    My A6 Allroad C6 appears to have this issue, it will sink to lowest setting if left overnight in automatic mode, I've just run it up to lift mode and will leave overnight to see if it sinks or not. I've read a lot of the previous threads but still have some Qs.

What's the significance of using jacking mode when testing whether the car sinks from dynamic or lift mode overnight? At present I'm testing with jacking mode off, do I need to repeat the tests with jacking mode on?

Chinese eBay (Aliexpress) has air springs for C6 at around 100 US dollars plus half as much again in shipping. Has anyone tried one of these Far East imports, or is it worth paying more than double for an eBay uk item (given its probably made in China anyway?!).

0 0 0

10. Re: That Sinking Feeling - A6 Allroad air suspension problems 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I'd strongly avoid aerosus, total cowboys, rubbish quality.. They supplied me phaeton air shock, all used crap.

Bought a new air bag on aliexpress, better or same quality bag as the German supplier, a 20 min job to swap out the bag once the strut is off the car.

Anybody with general mech knowledge can swap out their bags..... Compressors rarely go unless you ignore the symptom

Edit, I should. Add I own several other cars !! A phaeton is one of my daily's....

My A6 is a sweet ride.
    2007 3.0 tdi S-Line Avant.
    20 inch RS alloys, F/r park distance,S-Line leather, colour coded All road side skirts, Xenons
    Luv it !

0 1 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast