Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello

It was very cold the other day and during a video recording I made posted in my engine squeal thread I noticed exhaust fumes coming from the manifold/turbo area. I could not no matter how hard I tried see where it was coming from specifically, and it's quite a busy area anyway, even in the clear daylight we had that morning. It eventually stopped after a minute or less and did not come back. I do get the sound of air escaping at high pressure under revs. The previous owner had the EGR mapped out and then blanked with a blanking plate, but it didn't look like it was coming from there in particular. However, I could be wrong - it wouldn't be the first time.

There are some marks from where some oil or sut or something seemingly blasted onto the EGR pipe, which looks like it has come from above it where EGR valve itself is. It doesn't look like any seals in the area are gone, but it's hard to tell with some many angles.

If any pictures or videos are needed, please do ask. I'll record or snap what I can.

111111.jpg

Thanks

- R

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The squeal is a leaking manifold to EGR valve coupling, hence the smoke.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see. If that is the problem, how much are we looking at to replace, and what part number would I require?

Thank you.

- R

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Usually a couple of gaskets and some nuts.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I would imagine it's two gaskets, one for where the pipe connects to the EGR valve on the underside, and then a second gasket for where that specific EGR pipe connects to the manifold?

Thanks

- R

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    PM me the cars reg

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    An AWX engine, the 130PS lower torque version. In the unlikely event of the pipe having fractured, it is part number 038 131 521 AJ and these are £86.29. The gasket to the EGR valve is 069 131 547 D @ £3.78 and onto the manifold it is 03L 131 547 D, again £3.78. The two pipe to EGR bolts are N 904 154 05 @ 88p each and the two nuts to the manifold are N 911 308 01 @ 86p each.

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

8. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fantastic. Thank you my friend.

Do you think it would be worth checking if the bolts are properly tight, and/or taking the EGR pipe off, checking it over and then putting it back on before buying parts? Perhaps there is a test I could do to pinpoint the point of failure, like a smoke test or something?

Thank you

- R

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Check the fasteners are tight, it is doing the smoke test for you....

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.9 TDI - Smoke coming from turbo/manifold area? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For future reference with others possibly suffering something similar, the meshed part right after the turbo on the exhaust had collapsed and became damaged. We could compress it a little with force applied to both sides once we got it off and got our hands on it. Cat deleted version has been fitted and smoke is gone.

The decat part I bought for my PD130 AWX, which fits perfectly: AUDI A4 1.9 TDi Turbo Diesel 2000-2004 Decat Cat Bypass | eBay

Thanks.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast