1. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    So what's the story with the s-Tronic in the S6... is it up to the job?
    I've always wondered because of the use of the ZF box in the BiTdi and RS6.

I'm toying with swapping to an S6 mid next year - pick up one of the last V8s...
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

2. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
    So what's the story with the s-Tronic in the S6... is it up to the job?
    I've always wondered because of the use of the ZF box in the BiTdi and RS6.

I'm toying with swapping to an S6 mid next year - pick up one of the last V8s...
    Well, it certainly behaves differentley from the 8-speeder but its much faster and smoother in its gear changes. So far so good. Mine is on a service and warranty contract so I dont really care if it goes belly up. Its their problem...I mean, I am fully covered! Back in Germany I tend to drive the car quite a bit harder than I do on long distance so basically a nice testing period and if anything goes wrong, its for them to sort out and knowing my dealer, I will be well looked after.

The engine is a gem and anyone who buys the S6 will be in love with it! Its a sleeper that no-one understands the power off until you put your foot down....its seriously quick! Much quicker than the BiTdi! To 125mph its a whopping 6 sec quicker (the RS6 another 5s off!)....

Buy one. You will NOT regret it!

The new S6 will feature a 6-cyl engine from the RS5, albeit tweaked. All accordance to my dealer and AutoBild, the German car mag.
    2017 Audi S6 Avant
    2016 Volvo XC60 T5 R-Design (wife's)
    1987 Volvo 780 Bertone (my classic!)

0 0 0

3. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NewAudi View Post
    The new S6 will feature a 6-cyl engine from the RS5, albeit tweaked. All accordance to my dealer and AutoBild, the German car mag.
    Yes I heard that, so the trade off is the 'old' V8 (which sounds lovely) but the questionable long term reliability of the s-tronic vs. a V6 but a ZF 8 speed box as I understand it - which is pretty bulletproof. Unless they move to something more exotic (I think ZF have a 9 speeder..).
    My brother had an S4 with s-tronic (thankfully in the US) and had a number of issues with mechatronics (I think he had two) and I think finally a gearbox replacement... amazingly all done under warranty as in the US the drivetrain had a 100k warranty if I recall.
    A6 allroad BiTdi (MY14, July 2013 - DAB & power tailgate). Glacier white, tech pack (HDD Nav, colour DIS, Parking Plus), sports seats, 4 zone climate, heated seats front and rear, ambient lighting, 75L fuel tank, adaptive Bi Xenon headlights

0 0 0

4. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgroucho View Post
    Yes I heard that, so the trade off is the 'old' V8 (which sounds lovely) but the questionable long term reliability of the s-tronic vs. a V6 but a ZF 8 speed box as I understand it - which is pretty bulletproof. Unless they move to something more exotic (I think ZF have a 9 speeder..).
    My brother had an S4 with s-tronic (thankfully in the US) and had a number of issues with mechatronics (I think he had two) and I think finally a gearbox replacement... amazingly all done under warranty as in the US the drivetrain had a 100k warranty if I recall.
    Without looking, I think the new RS5 do have a 9-speeder.....

Personally I much prefer the ZF box I had in the BiTdi, but that is noticable slower (if one can actually call it slow). I guess time will tell re these S tronix boxes and hopefully if something goes wrong its eithervin warranty or after the car has been returned to Audi!
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Now with the colder mornings, I have sadly had to book the car in with my dealer for warranty work. My rear screen heater have almost given up the ghost with most of the electric wires not functioning. Dealer and I both and completely surprised as neither of us have ever experienced this!
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

6. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    When mated to a petrol engine, the ZF box is hardly any slower (in real terms) than a twin clutch. I suspect that the ZF shift times are slowed in the Bi-burbo to accommodate the heavy flywheel, giving the impression that the twin-clutch is a much faster box than the ZF. You have to be drag racing to pick out a ZF change on the RS6 compared to (say) a PDK change on a Porsche Macan.

0 1 0

7. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I am sure you are right. Its the perceived speed of changes that feels quicker. Dont actually think its any quicker, but the Audi development team is probably the only ones who could answer that for sure. Does make mw wonder though why they have fitted the S-tronic and not the 8-speeder in the S6.....
    2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 0 0

8. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    My understanding was that the S-tronic is pretty well sorted, now. I also note that the new Continental GT is fitted with a twin-clutch box, rather than the ZF that is currently fitted throughout the Bentley range, so VW group have clearly got a lot of confidence in the box - and, it appears, they have overcome the torque issue that led Audi to fit the ZF in the RS6 (the new Continental packs a hefty 900Nm).

0 0 0

9. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Winter wheels fitted (may seem early, especially as we had 22C today and 26C yesterday!

Anyway, 19" BBS SX Line in Black shod with Conti's TS. Looks pretty much the same as Audi originals. But what a different drive compared to the 21"! Much quiter, smoother but A LOT less handling.

2017 Audi S6 Avant

0 1 0

10. Re: 2017 S6 Avant - On Order 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Wheels and car look great, congrats. Those silver mirrors would kill me though!

0 0 0

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast