I'm 59 and have had several new cars and bikes over the years but they have all been ordered straight from the showroom floor and taken home within a week.

I am now in a situation where I will have to wait until February before I can see my new vehicle but obviously the benefits are that it will be what I have chosen (well with a bit of input from 'her indoors').

For the past 5 years I have been driving a Discovery 4 and the fact that I have never owned a car for that length of time says a lot about a Disco 4!

Anyway, time for a change and I have ordered a 218ps A6 Quattro Avant.

Trying to decide what vehicle to buy was a bit daunting, especially as we were initially looking at 2litre engines, basically for the tax band and economy. To be honest none we drove really floated our boat, and then I saw that Audi did an 'in between' engine that seemed to offer what I wanted, enough grunt to pull a twin axle caravan, economy, and with a bit of performance. We had a test drive in a 2litre Avant and was suitably impressed to order one of it's big brothers!

Its easy to get carried away with extras (didn't intend Quattro at first) but here is the full spec ordered:

A6 Avant SE Executive 3.0 TDI Quattro 218ps S tronic
Diamond Beige metallic
Atlas beige/brown interior
Adaptive air suspension
Audi matrix LED headlights
Bose surround sound
Comfort seats with memory
Door mirrors electrically folding
Parking pack
Privacy glass
Tow bar
Valcona leather