1. Re: Steering column lock defective - advice needed please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    It amazes me considering the amount of information out there that people buy these B6 lemon cars completely 'green' and somehow base reliability on how the car looks !

44k is extremely low , my father had one from 40k to sub 115k he's never spent so much repairing a car before and in that time he had most of the the common faults...

Snapped suspension springs
    EPB switch and rear calipers
    Oil pump failure ( fixed with a remanufactured 100mm kit )
    Throttle body plastic cogs fiasco

Injector recall .

At point of px it was consuming oil which we concluded was turbo , not surprising considering the oil pump drive failure .

The only common thing that didn't happen was the ignition steering lock , lol . A nice surprise for the next owner no doubt.

With regards to the 3 month usually useless warranty it's a smoke screen for the 6 months obligation of Consumers Rights Act 2015 , I think they have got only one chance to repair an issue , etc .

Anyway the lovely B6...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbyca...assat-b6-2005/

400 Bad Request

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering column lock defective - advice needed please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    To solve the steering wheel defective depending on what the issue is, but most likely it's what I have encountered. The steering wheel has to be dropped down and immobiliser removed. The immobiliser has a tab with a spring, when correct key is inserted it opens, however sometimes it gets jammed and doesn't allow the car to start or cuts off. To solve this, remove the black tab and spring. If on the board the two switches are faulty, clean them. No coding, parts replacement is needed. As stated above, even dealership struggled to solve this. What everyone has stated above in this thread should be treated as a last resort if my method doesn't work. There are videos online on how to remove the interior surrounding the steering wheel. The steering wheel does not need to be removed, it just needs to be lowered by removing the four bolts that hold it up to get to the immobiliser. It has two security nuts, use a dremel to cut a line and then a flat screw driver.

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering column lock defective - advice needed please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonster View Post
    To solve the steering wheel defective depending on what the issue is, but most likely it's what I have encountered. The steering wheel has to be dropped down and immobiliser removed. The immobiliser has a tab with a spring, when correct key is inserted it opens, however sometimes it gets jammed and doesn't allow the car to start or cuts off. To solve this, remove the black tab and spring. If on the board the two switches are faulty, clean them. No coding, parts replacement is needed. As stated above, even dealership struggled to solve this. What everyone has stated above in this thread should be treated as a last resort if my method doesn't work. There are videos online on how to remove the interior surrounding the steering wheel. The steering wheel does not need to be removed, it just needs to be lowered by removing the four bolts that hold it up to get to the immobiliser. It has two security nuts, use a dremel to cut a line and then a flat screw driver.
    It turns out that the dealer I bought it from had to rectify the problem with the steering lock issue. It was done at a VW garage in Telford. Total bill of £480. After all the bad feedback about owning a B6. I've decided to give it a year with the car and see how it fairs. If I start having problems with it. Then it's out the door. Hind sight is a valuable tool. If I new there was so much issues with this model. I would have left well alone.
    Thanks for your assistance DieselMonster. Much appreciated 👍

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering column lock defective - advice needed please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Your welcome, if you encounter issue again you'll have a fair few suggestions to go by. Chances are if the hardware isn't revised, then no matter how many times you buy a new part it will be faulty just like their 05/10 parking brake madness. When I first encountered this issue, took me more than a month to solve while my car was stranded few miles away from home. Garage didn't have a clue how to help me. This was the second time we encountered it, first time we called a diagnostic dude and he did some wiz and kept the knowledge to himself of course. Also another trick I've learnt through owning this car is if parking brake stops working, refuses to open caliper for you to drive, then it's two torx screws on the parking motor, one spine screw on the back of the caliper once motor is off and that'll manually open the caliper. Prior to knowing this, we had a Passat cc refusing to unlock a caliper, we had it towed a few hundred yards to the garage. Right now I'm in the middle of fixing both parking motors, both clogged with dirt. Once cleaned and resealed it should work. Also when this occurs, motor is suspect, vw dealer will try to sell you the caliper too! On newer motors, they need VCDS to cycle the motors.

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering column lock defective - advice needed please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hindle View Post
    ..... If I new there was so much issues with this model. I would have left well alone. ....
    Console yourself with the thought that no one with half a brain will want to nick it.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123