Hello All,

I thought I would post my findings on problems I've had with brakes on VAG vehicles over the years.

I've tried to trace a problem with lack of feel or intermittent brakes on 3 VAG vehicles now, an Audi 80, Allroad and now a Passat (all diesel).

In the past I have replaced just about everything (I thought), calipers, hoses, master cylinder, ABS block, in fact if I look back just about everthing except the servo.

While I was changing my clutch (SMF conversion) and turbo, I came across a thread regarding the loose vacuum pipe on the output of the tandem pump, so I decided to repair while I had chance using Tec7 advised.

Despite my doubts (Tec7 is actually some serious stuff) and on the intial test drive, aswell as having a clutch that seemed to bite on the floor (as oppose to a mm from the top), and a Turbo that doesn't poor oil down the inlet :-) I also have brakes, I nearly went through the windscreen, they have been consistent ever since.

It seems the brake problem was down to lack of vacuum, something that I'd failed to check in the past, so I'm not sure if it was the same problem on the Audi's but I'm pretty sure it was.

Worth checking and sealing the vacuum outlet, although if I was to do it again, I think I would somehow mechanically lock the pipe in place, by peening the case around or using a centre punch to dislodge material, then apply the Tec7 to seal the junction.