Hi Folks,

our 2008 A6 is a very nice shade of light blue metallic which unfortunately is also very nice at showing up rust!!

Both rear arches have become a bit rusty at the base, and one is spreading a little I want to tidy this up as I'm aware the salt and gritters may hit the roads soon. The size is about 5mm around the rear arch spreading about 4-6inches high.

I've done quite a lot of body work painting etc on old cars I've restored but don't have the time to do a full srtip down and re-spray / fade in the rear quarter panels and getting a bodyshop to do it isn't in the budget till the spring!!

My plan is to keep it localised, give them a gentle rub down with sand paper, treat with Kurust, touch in with primer by hand, stone chip / seam sealer by hand, then touch in paint by hand.

My logic with the seam sealer or anti-stonechip paint is that the oem stone chip guard is damaged and peeling a little at the arch rim and needs resealed and I don't think the small touch up paint will do the job at covering it deep enough and forming a good watertight seal.

If anyone has tackled this and has any tips let me know also any ideas where I could get a small volume of seam sealant or anti stone chip!!!

ps as a side note I think its a disgrace that this car a well serviced, very well cared for 2008 is showing as many rust spots as it is (as well as a panel affected by paint issues) compared to my sisters beaten up 54plate Zafira which looks pretty much as good as new every time it is dragged through a rain storm or car wash!