1. Polo Spark Plugs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've removed the engine cover on my 03 Polo 1.4 and now I need to change the spark plugs. Can someone (a) tell me where to find them and (b) give me a quick procedure for getting to them so that I can change them.

Apologies for being so thick, I thought this was going to take me 5 minutes but I can't even get past finding them!

0 0 0

2. Re: Polo Spark Plugs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Should take the black box off then you'll see some long metal tube things at regular intervals (an amount that corresponds to the number of cylinders) and you pull those off

0 0 0

3. Re: Polo Spark Plugs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks JamesC. I'm still not sure what I'm looking for, I can't see any metal tube things that you refer to. As far as I can see, once I've got the engine cover off, theres a contraption that goes right across the top of the engine block which has wiring attached and which is secured with two star headed screws and then there's another contraption with wiring attached at the upper rear of the engine block which I think is possibly the fuel injection unit. Both contraption are quite securely attached, I can't see any other possibilities for where the spark plugs are. I'm a bit flumoxed, but I think the spark plugs are underneath the contraption on the top - can someone just confirm that I'm somewhere close? Or am I just an old duffer who hasn't got a clue?

0 0 0

4. Re: Polo Spark Plugs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On mine, (which is 3 cylinder) at the front of the engine block there's a black wiring bar with plugs coming off it every 15 or so CM in to these sort of small black boxes, which if you look or feel underneath will feel cylindrical

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...ugchange15.jpg is the sort of thing (except mine are right angled) you remove those to gain access to the plugs

0 0 0

5. Re: Polo Spark Plugs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks JamesC. From the photo, this looks like the same sort of thing that I have on top of the engine block. I need to remove it by removing two star-headed screws and then I should be able to access the metal tube things underneath. The problem is that one of the screws is really awkwardly placed next to the oil filler. I'll take another look at it in daylight.

0 0 0

6. Re: Polo Spark Plugs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On my car the "pencils" just pull out, after removing the plugs (if there's slack on the cables obviously note which one corresponds to which cylinder). They took a bit of a tug but there was no actual unbolting/unscrewing to do.

0 0 0