1. turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi everyone new on here ive recently bought a audi a3 tdi sline quattro 2006 bkd engine around a month ago the turbo blew so its been into garage had a new turbo fitting new pipes oil antifreeze everything was flushed out properly so the garage took the car out yesterday after repairing it and the new turbo blew so im a few quid down now with no car still ive found out that the car was re-map by previous own but only paid £80 for the map , does anyone have a clue what might be wrong with it many thanks
    Last edited by mattlfc09; 15-10-2016 at 06:50 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    first thing you do BEFORE fitting a new turbo is to establish EXACTLY why the old turbo blew.
    ok, so you cannot get a map for 80 bucks unless someone is desperate for the cash. so is it that. also, what make turbo was fitted and from where. there are plenty of really cheap n nasty chinese turbos about on places like ebay, and to get one to last 2 minutes sometimes is good going. and how did it blow exactly. turbos fail in many different ways, usually caused by oil starvation or overspooling. did the garage pump a quantity of oil from the return pipe by immobilisng the car from starting and cranking it over to ensure good oil supply to a fresh turbo.. much more info is needed to be able to help.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

3. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi cheers for the reply when i bought the car it sounded if it had a turbo problem siren noise also when you rev it it would make a screeching noise but would disappear for a while but come back as soon as i would start to drive it again the lad who i bought it of said the screeching only started after the re map so i bought the car and replaced the turbo with one from europarts no the oe one the chearper one but garage checked anything oil was going to turbo new oil new pipes complete flush out of the intercooler when they took it for a run the other day the turbo failed snapped shaft

0 0 0

4. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    i think i would have removed the map before doing anything. a snapped shaft can be a couple of things, oil starvation or simply going too fast. the map has basically made the turbo spin up far too much to obtain more power. this is why proper tested maps are best. this blokes probably made this himself and yes, it will work because it makes the car faster, for a bit. will he provide any warranty.. no, course not..

0 0 0

5. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi yeah sounds like it could well be this re-map so i will get it removed do you no how much this would cost to remove it ?

0 0 0

6. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you need to contact a mapper who has a standard map. i have no idea how much this would be, if they can do it, maybe you will have to visit vw.. look in the sponsors section and get on the phone to see what people can offer. i would avoid any other map other than stock until the car is running right, then if you want it mapped properly thats upto you.

1 0 0

7. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice one m8 cheers for your help

0 1 0

8. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    no probs. its not a nice place for you to be in. i would contact a turbo company as well, see if you can get an expert to conclude why the turbo failed. i use turbo tecnics myself and they are very good at what they do. i would also get a turbo from them.

0 0 0

9. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi yeah spoke europarts yesterday they are having turbo back to see why it failed , shall update when car is up and running hopefully

1 1 0

10. Re: turbo problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I once fitted a cheap £80 turbo cartridge from eBay into a 1.6 HDi Peugeot (which is famous for eating turbos) it lasted about 1000 miles before the bearings were worn out. I never really did understand why it failed as I changed the oil, plus the oil supply and return to the turbo seemed fine, no blocked pipes or oil pump pick up blocked. The cartridge quality looked excellent maybe they just fitted low quality bearings or something else was amiss but never really got to the bottom of it, the forums are full of stories of replacement turbos packing up in no time with people saying you need to replace all the pipes, oil pickup and oil pump, this seems a bit extreme to me if they all seem OK. Would be good to know the real reason as there is allot of miss information out there, in hindsight a few oil changes at 200 mile intervals with cheapish oil would have been a good idea to really clean it out, the car had a very bad service history.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast