Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi guys,
    Been averaging around 29 MPG on my brand new A6 2.0 Ultra BE. It's only done 681 miles so far, is that the reason why? Also 90% of it is local driving but it shouldn't be that low?

What are you guys getting?

0 0 0

2. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    25.5K miles down, and getting 45 mpg, 50% motor way/50% country lane

Yours will be tight being so new, give it chance, it will stretch its legs.

I am pretty frugal on mine, in terms of mile munching, always in Economy and only really using Sport or Dynamic only when essential. I don't run any aircon, heated mirrors or similar... and I try to eek out every mile. The thrill of the new car has been hard to resist, but.... its gotta have it occasionally. :-)

I use the fuelly app, to track my miles/mpg - click the link below to see.

1 0 0

3. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    29 in town is about right. Take it on a run and hold it at around 63. You should see 57 ish after a couple of mins on the short term computer view

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    2016 A6 Avant S Line Black Edition 2.0L Auto Quattro - Glacier, 20" Wheels, MMI High, Matrix LED's, Phone Box, Sport Diff

Traded - 2012 A5 3.0 Auto S Line (Non-Quattro) - Did 116k miles in this one

0 0 0

4. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Widwow View Post
    25.5K miles down, and getting 45 mpg, 50% motor way/50% country lane

Yours will be tight being so new, give it chance, it will stretch its legs.

I am pretty frugal on mine, in terms of mile munching, always in Economy and only really using Sport or Dynamic only when essential. I don't run any aircon, heated mirrors or similar... and I try to eek out every mile. The thrill of the new car has been hard to resist, but.... its gotta have it occasionally. :-)

I use the fuelly app, to track my miles/mpg - click the link below to see.
    sound advice.

Ignore the DIS, use brim>brim calculations to check your true MPG.

book figures for this car:

urban - 51.4
    extra urban - 72.4
    combined - 62.8

Source - http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search...spx?vid=390791

I'd expect to see IRO 40mpg around town, depending on the traffic conditions and your driving style. The better you are at anticipating traffic lights, stops and all those fun things that sap your fuel, the better the return you'll see.

Some top tips can be found here - Top Fuel Economy Tips » Fuel-Economy.co.uk

0 0 0

5. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be stuck on an unfinished DPF regen. Are the fans running after you switch off? If so take it for a long run at 70mph in S mode or Manual 5th. Try to keep the revs around 2500 for at least ten minutes.

DPFs on AUDIs are not fit for purpose - as I found out!

0 0 0

6. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjabob View Post
    Could be stuck on an unfinished DPF regen. Are the fans running after you switch off? If so take it for a long run at 70mph in S mode or Manual 5th. Try to keep the revs around 2500 for at least ten minutes.
    at 700 miles?

DPFs on AUDIs are not fit for purpose - as I found out!
    DPFs annoy a lot of people (usually) because they buy diesel engines fitted with them and pootle around town all day every day - it's more an ill informed buying decision than a fit for purpose argument.

You wouldn't buy a fridge and wonder why it's not cooked your chicken for you.

0 3 0

7. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshrules View Post

DPFs annoy a lot of people (usually) because they buy diesel engines fitted with them and pootle around town all day every day - it's more an ill informed buying decision than a fit for purpose argument.

You wouldn't buy a fridge and wonder why it's not cooked your chicken for you.
    It's actually mis-selling - for "ill informed" read "not informed" by salesman at time of purchase. Who would honestly buy an AUDI diesel after being told it is not suitable for doing short trips around town and you could be faced with a £2600 +VAT bill!

A car is something that gets you from a to b and how you use that that car is irrelevant i.e. the AUDI diesel is not fit for purpose.

Bear in mind that AUDI are so confident their cars are going to get DPF problems that they don't even cover the unit under the 3 year warranty another thing I will guarantee salesmen are not telling prospective purchasers of diesel cars.

If AUDI are so confident that all their customers who purchase diesel cars are going to regularly not drive them for short jouneys in town then explain to me why they fit "Stop/Start" technology and default it to enabled. Useful stuff "Stop/Start" for motorway driving.

In my own case in four and a half years I had only done 26k miles - none of which was short journeys around town.

I have had a lot of experience with diesel cars in my time starting in 1978 with one of the first Granada Diesels and including Mercedes 240D, Rover 2400SD Turbo, Mitsubushi Galant TD, Land Rover Discovery TD5, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406, Mercedes C220 and my wifes current Smart CDI. None of which have caused me any issues.

I truly hope you do not encounter the problems I have encountered and the spectacularly indifferent attitude from AUDI GB but if you do and your faced with he kind of bill for repair you might reflect on your rather flippant fridge/cooked/chicken analogy.

0 0 0

8. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With respect to the post above that said try 63 mph.... oh my, yes more miles per gallon for sure. But theres no way in hell I can do 63 mph all day. I cant get clear of the trucks, stuck in amongst those beasts is just demoralising. It might be ok to drive one, but to float along, leap frogging them is just heart braking... On the downhills they get half passed you, and then they are stuck when you hit the hills again, meaning dropping back and letting them in.

But that being said, it might make for an interesting week, just to se if I can get back to a 700 plus tank.... maybe 800... :-) lets see what next week brings :-)

0 0 0

9. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It's actually mis-selling - for "ill informed" read "not informed" by salesman at time of purchase. Who would honestly buy an AUDI diesel after being told it is not suitable for doing short trips around town and you could be faced with a £2600 +VAT bill!

A car is something that gets you from a to b and how you use that that car is irrelevant i.e. the AUDI diesel is not fit for purpose.

Bear in mind that AUDI are so confident their cars are going to get DPF problems that they don't even cover the unit under the 3 year warranty another thing I will guarantee salesmen are not telling prospective purchasers of diesel cars.

If AUDI are so confident that all their customers who purchase diesel cars are going to regularly not drive them for short jouneys in town then explain to me why they fit "Stop/Start" technology and default it to enabled. Useful stuff "Stop/Start" for motorway driving.

In my own case in four and a half years I had only done 26k miles - none of which was short journeys around town.
    you say tomato, I say tomato.

I didn't say they're not suitable for doing short trips around town.

What I said was:

Quote Originally Posted by Eshrules
    DPFs annoy a lot of people people (usually) because they buy diesel engines fitted with them and pootle around town all day every day
    Of course how you use the car is completely relevant - you wouldn't buy (as a general example) a smart car and use it as an off roader. By the same token, most sensible people wouldn't buy a modern diesel engine fitted with a DPF as a town car. Not just because of the DPF you understand but most people know diesels take longer to warm then their petrol counterparts and so by the time you've got to operating temperature, your journey has ended - most of the time, city dwelling diesels rarely beat their petrol counterparts for economy and certainly not unless you reach that magic 20k p/a figure - which I suspect most would struggle to achieve purely running around town on short trips.

In regards to your question re stop/start - I'm guessing unless you live on the entry/slipway to a motorway, some stop/start city driving may make up a part of your commute. I think Audi rely on people giving the engine a good run regularly enough to help keep the DPF maintained in the way it should be. A decent run on the motorway is usually enough.

I won't open the proverbial tin of worms in regards to the other bits & pieces of a modern diesel engine that won't work too well for too long if used purely in town.

Like those pesky turbo things.

They're expensive to fix and I bet the dealer didn't tell you that either did he?

I have had a lot of experience with diesel cars in my time starting in 1978 with one of the first Granada Diesels and including Mercedes 240D, Rover 2400SD Turbo, Mitsubushi Galant TD, Land Rover Discovery TD5, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406, Mercedes C220 and my wifes current Smart CDI. None of which have caused me any issues.
    Just out of interest, how many of those were fitted with a DPF?

I truly hope you do not encounter the problems I have encountered and the spectacularly indifferent attitude from AUDI GB but if you do and your faced with he kind of bill for repair you might reflect on your rather flippant fridge/cooked/chicken analogy.
    Fortunately, I have no intention of owning an Audi - although I'm always open to options from the VAG stable. At any rate, I've run DPF fitted vehicles for the last 6 years, during which time I've covered 15>20k p/a, urban:extra urban 1:3 and I've had no issues so far. Although in fairness I wouldn't be paying for any repairs so I can afford to be as flippant as I like at the moment

0 0 0

10. Re: Poor MPG 2.0 ultra 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Widwow View Post
    With respect to the post above that said try 63 mph.... oh my, yes more miles per gallon for sure. But theres no way in hell I can do 63 mph all day. I cant get clear of the trucks, stuck in amongst those beasts is just demoralising. It might be ok to drive one, but to float along, leap frogging them is just heart braking... On the downhills they get half passed you, and then they are stuck when you hit the hills again, meaning dropping back and letting them in.

But that being said, it might make for an interesting week, just to se if I can get back to a 700 plus tank.... maybe 800... :-) lets see what next week brings :-)
    Just as an FYI - (most) trucks are speed limited to 56mph, despite the limit being slightly higher.

I find sitting at 65 gives you enough movement to pass a truck safely without incurring the wrath of the middle lane hogging morons.

The only thing that's faster than that is a coach but I don't tend to see so many of those on the M60/56/62/6

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast