We recently had my wife's A1 1.4 TFSi serviced (approx 58,000 miles) at an independent garage. We asked then to look into noise coming from the engine and were told that it was the timing chain, which I have to say I was concerned about as it is my opinion that chains have a long life, unlike belts which need to be replaced. We requested a quote and was told £760 and that it may also need a water pump. When I got home I looked on the Audi website and found the cost to be £400 ish and £460 with a water pump. I ended up going to my local garage were we get MOT's and they looked at it.

Now here's the story. They took off the auxiliary belt and found that the problem was the water pump and that there was nothing wrong with the timing chain.

So from my experience I would suggest that when/if you are told your timing chain needs to be replaced please remove the auxiliary belt and check that it isn't just the water pump as this will save you a lot of hard earned cash. You may even be able to replace this yourself.