Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting.

1. 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. I have a 2009 Scirocco 2.0 Tdi that wont start. in the week leading up to failure, the car would cut out, and restart straightaway. Then, last week,the car cut out, saying "engine failure" and will not restart. The engine spins over perfectly, so the timing belt and other mechanicals are ok.
    I looked at the lift pump in the tank. All is ok, if the pump is given 12 volts, it spins ok, but the car still wont start.
    Having plugged VCDS into it, the only fault that is present is :-

001650 - Cylinder 2 glow plug circuit (Q11)
    P0672 - 000 - Electrical fault

This fault will delete, and return when you try start it again. There is no flashing glow plug light. It turns on and goes off again as normal.

The RPM signal is present, and also the rev counter moves when trying to start, This tells me the crank sensor is ok.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thankyou in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So... Measured the resistance of the glow plugs. 1,3 and 4 measure 1.0 ohms. number 2 measures 1.5 kohms. So number 2 glow plug is indeed bad. But I dont believe that this is what is stopping it from starting. So I get the laptop out and use VCDS to look at live data.

The fuel pressure is only reaching 200 bar, when the ecu is commanding 280 bar. A leak test was done. Number 3 injector is leaking back about 10x as much as any of the others!

0 0 0

3. Re: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The glow plug will have nothing to do with it, that injector sounds unhealthy-I have had to do a few now on the CR. 200Bar should be enough to make it run unless the injector is bleeding all the fuel back, you could try sealing the return from 3 but watch out if it lets go!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou for your reply. The injector is out and off to be repaired tomorrow morning.
    At 200 bar, it kind of hiccups as though it's trying to start but doesn't quite fire. I considered putting ball bearing between the injector and pipe to blank off the injector?

0 0 0

5. Re: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I use a section of old return rail, the ends often snap and the check valves fail so I get a few broken rails to rob bits from. Other common lower pressure issues are the main pump and the pressure regulator. I am not convinced about "repaired" injectors, on the 1.6 Caddy we did a week or so ago we could not get a Bosch exchange so we fitted genuine but Bosch do them for the 2L CR TDI. What concerns me is the flow rate not being as per the calibration figure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So, before taking the injector for repair or sourcing a replacement, I figured to have a look at the fuel. Removed the pressure regulator on the pump to find it full of shiny metal particles! A new hpfp, 4 injectors, and a full fuel system draining and cleaning! Hope the owner is sitting comfortably!

0 0 0

7. Re: 2009 Scirocco 2.0 tdi not starting. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    As I said, HPFP and pressure reg. I use the Bosch exchange pump, it is half the price of genuine.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0