1. RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi, I have a 2010 highline which came with the rcd310 which I've just swapped for the rcd510. The car has the aux in jack in the centre armrest box, I want to be able to plug my iPhone into radio to play my current music.

Can I buy this AUX USB Switch Cable Plug For RCD510 RCD310 RNS315 VW Passat B6 B7 CC MK6 GOLF | eBay and re run the wiring to the existing aux port?

Any help would be appreciated, and what is it called and mdi interface or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Only the Chinese clone RCD510 units had a socket for USB. As shown on the item's pix at the bottom of description
    "Genuine" (Delphi-made) OEM RCD510 didn't have USB capability. But the AUX IN should plug in alright into both.
    Do you have an external CD changer?
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

3. RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    So I can't get my iPhone connected to play music off it using the stereo to control my music? Unless I go the Bluetooth route

No cd changer, just the drop down box in glovebox

0 0 0

4. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    If you have a MFSW and hi-line MFD you can use VW's kit 000 051 446C

Other kits available are: Parrot MKI9000 for iPhone connectivity. Some install notes are at:
    How To Just bought Parrot BT Kit - Installation Q

And there’s Xcarlink with Bluetooth.

It's because of all this faffing around and then finding you might not have the correct Bluetooth protocol level that I dumped my sad, non-MP3-playing RCD500 (supplied in a SEL) for the then top of the range navi JVC KWNX9000/DAB that does it all. OK, it was a grand installed (Chinese Android units are the ones to go for nowadays) and I upgraded my steering wheel and MFD but that was six years ago. Worth it, looking back

Add to that having to update CANbus module (and if you don't have VCDS, getting it coded) unless you're OCD about staying OEM it's not worth it
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 27-09-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: JVC

1 1 0

5. RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Ok I do have the mfsw same one as in the B7 Passat and also full height white dot mfd.

VW's kit 000 051 446C comes back as a lead, which I assume connects to a special plug in the glovebox or centre armrest. I only have a headphone jack input in my centre arrest which leads me to the next question. Can I add this special plug in socket in place of my aux in jack then use that lead part number above?

0 0 0

6. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I don't know. I'm not there. I don't know what this "headphone jack" you mention is connected to or from.
    The unit I referenced is not just a "lead" that's just part of VW's MDI kit -- a thread describing how that's used is at
    VWVortex.com - Fault codes after Satellite install
    But that is for a US Sirius satellite receiver (based on an RCD510) so you might want the UK equivalent

But with an OEM RCD510 you can't have USB which was the original question

While it's possible to provide iPhone connectivity with MFD display and MFSW control with an OEM RCD510 it's so fraught with costs of having to source the correct module, code both it and your headunit, source and install a wiring loom, that I just wouldn't bother doing it for an install that's overall inferior to an Andriod head unit at £300 or so you can have all that integrated and have Navi (uptodate maps) /USB/DVD/SD Card/unrestricted MP3, and your choice of TV or DAB too all in one box

When considering my options in 2009 I started putting together some notes as there was so much information around: stay OEM, get another head unit, upgrade OEM head unit, etc. Over time these notes have just growed so PM me an email address for return attach in .doc format
    Last edited by RichardSEL; 27-09-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: help .doc

0 1 0

7. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Here is the headphone aux in jack in my centre console, as I said I was hoping I could change this to a usb/aux in jack.

The back of the rcd310 that I removed which looks exactly the same as the rcd510 I currently have fitted.

0 0 0

8. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    What I want is this vw_mdi_installed_in_cd_changer_location_golf | my-gti.com along with the cool second level centre glovebox tray. You can the aux in jack in the top left of that image, I want to add the media in interface which I can then plug a usb device into, hopefully my apple lighting cable

0 0 0

9. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    And I found VW do a retrofit kit Volkswagen Media Device Interface (MDI) Retrofit | my-gti.com which to me looks very difficult reading the instructions, what does pin from and to mean?? I know it's got to do with the rear plugs in the radio but until I get all the kit I can't visualise it

0 0 0

10. Re: RCD510 upgrade to usb aux in 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am wondering if anyone managed to fit the USB to the Passat b6?
    Ive just bought a 59 plate Passat highlane with the rns 510 fitted.
    The glovebox has an aux and ideally I'd like to switch it out for the aux/USB switch. I've seen one on eBay.

Thanks,

Rory

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast