1. Audi Smartphone Interface & Tech Pack first impressions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I took delivery of my new A6 Avant BE yesterday which includes Tech Pack and Smartphone Interface. I thought I would share some first impressions and start some discussions.

Firstly I can't believe how confusing the mixup of technology is when you first get started - I came from a MY2013 A6 Avant S-Line so am familiar with MMI, and also work in IT so am quite tech savvy, but still found everything quite difficult to get my head around quite a few aspects of the whole setup. I'm only 24 hours in so if I have anything wrong I'd be grateful to anyone who can educate me.

Firstly, I suspect like the majority, I have an iPhone. In my case its a 6S running iOS 10. I don't have an Android phone at the moment, but may well borrow one in future to try.

Starting with the MMI, because Apple don't support the rSAP (remote sim access profile) it means that my A6 can't just use my existing phone SIM remotely for its built-in phone or data features. It will work as a handsfree kit and bluetooth media player, but not provide full functionality and in particular the internet access needed for many connected features. For me this is an Apple issue rather than Audi, but it means I've had to put another SIM in the car to get it online, so used one I keep that occasionally gets calls or messages. This was my first confusion as I set it to be used for data only, however that inhibits all phone and text functionality so I wouldn't be able to receive the occasional call or text, or more importantly use it to keep in touch if my iPhone (on a different network) has no service. I realised that I need to enable the car phone functionality but set it as a secondary phone. I just need to sort out how I can share the contacts from my iPhone.

So there I was with my phone paired on bluetooth with my shiny new Qi wireless charging case recharging my phone in the Audi phonebox. I turned the MMI controller to select my Smartphone Interface and discover that I can't connect as there is no phone available. At this point I pull the lightning connector from the door pocket where the dealership had left the one and only cable that was supplied, disconnected my Qi charging case and plugged my phone into the USB port via the cable. Bing, Apple Car Play works - but only with a wired connection to the phone. This is really going to frustrate the hell out of me as the phonebox with antenna and wireless charging really makes sense, but seems to be mutually exclusive with Car Play.

So on to Car Play - the screen is much the same as the pictures, with the basic apple apps for music, maps, messages, phone, Audi MMI (which takes you back to MMI), now playing and spotify. By comparison to MMI the graphics for the apps is very basic and the lettering large, but I guess thats fine when you're driving. I tried maps for navigation which is perfectly acceptable but feels lacking when you compare it with MMI Nav High. Generally that is a common theme - everything seems to work, but is pretty simple.

I tried a shout of "Hey Siri" and got no answer, then pressed the voice control button on the steering wheel and got MMI voice control. If anyone knows how to quickly get to Siri rather than scrolling through the app screen to the home button that would be helpful.

All in all I'm a little underwhelmed by Car Play, but maybe my impressions will improve as time goes on.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Smartphone Interface & Tech Pack first impressions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I forgot a couple of additional points:

I instinctively tapped the MMI screen with Car Play running - oops, it would be great with a touchscreen. I must see if I can use the MMI Touch controller, but it still won't be the same.

Also I was disappointed that the colour DIS isn't used with Car Play as I understand the latest version from Apple does support a second screen.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi Smartphone Interface & Tech Pack first impressions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    235 Post(s)
    To use Siri you need to hold the speak button on the steering wheel for a few seconds.
    I have an older fl with tech pack and that's how it's used. Not sure if it's the same with the updated one

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Smartphone Interface & Tech Pack first impressions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yes, that works. Thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Smartphone Interface & Tech Pack first impressions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just quickly, have you selected "Hey Siri" option on your Iphone, i did and i can just say "Hey Siri" without the need to press any buttons first.
    on your phone go to settings,scroll down to siri, select, then you will see "allow hey siri" select it and away you go.

0 0 0