1. A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car is producing black smoke when accelerating from under 2000 revs. It seems to be worse when the car warms up. The car seems a bit flat until 2000revs also, the turbo is new and i have checked for a boost leak but there is none present. I have cleaned the egr valve, does anyone have any ideas of what else it could be. Could the maf be at fault?Thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    As I am sure you are aware the tdi will smoke black under load purely due to the over fuelling , if you have recently had work done at the turbo and seem down on power and higher on smoke, I would be inspecting for restricted air intake or at intercooler for block in flow.
    Might be good to replace air filter and fuel filter just to ensure good clean delivery of fuel/air
    A6 2.4 SE (2000)S3 1.8T (2001)80 Coupe 2.3 (1991)
    A3 1.8T sport (1997)A4 3.0 QST (2002)
    80 Coupe 2.6S (1995)A4 Cab 2.4 sport (2002) Another 2.6 '95 coupe in byzanz purple
    '88 type 89 90 saloon kv 5 pot A4 1.8T 2001

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply, i expect a bit of smoke under acceleration but the amount im talking is quite substancial, if im in second and traveling at about 1500rpm when i put my foot down there seems to be a lag and a big plume of black smoke, then at about 2000rpm the turbo kicks in and clears the smoke an off we go, its getting rather embarrasing in traffic. Also all filters have been changed. Ive cleaned egr, but im reluctant to buy a new one only to find out its the maf or something else, any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Could you explain why the turbo was replaced? I ask as either the exhaust, intercooler, or both could have oil in them depending on the reason of failure.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Turbo was replaced as prev owner had fitted a new spool that was a chinese type off ebay that started to fail, the new turbo is original garret

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anybody else have any ideas on what it could be?

0 0 0

7. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Maf, n75 solenoid, bad injectors, low boost pressure, blocked intercooler, intake throttle / asv flap. It would be best if you scanned it and did some logs while driving to measur maf actual vs. Required, injector quantities etc. Dont throw parts at it without some diagnostics.

0 0 0

8. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your right mate dont want to guess problem an throw new parts at it, i have vcds but a lil inexperienced in using it so will have to brush up on it. Thanks for you help👍

0 0 0

9. Re: A4 2.0tdi avant sline black smoke 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    go for change diesel & air filter change firstly

then coolant temp sensor ,if faulty this will tell ecu its cold and put more diesel in system ............................... possibly

I would warm the car up, drive along the road to a big straight, put the car in 2nd gear and floor until the revs are just under the red and hold it there for a few hundred yards . The smoke will clear and your exhaust should be blasted clean

Then see how she goes, you need to do this once in a blue moon to regain power & fuel economy .....................
    VW POLO 2002 1.2 12v , Audi A6 2006 2.0 TDi SE , Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi

All 3 cars in the current fleet

0 0 0