1. Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Trying to get used to ACC, only had straight forward cruise control in the past.

Is there any way of switching off the "adaptive" bit? If there is I cannot figure it out.

In the past, if I was cruising on the motorway with cruise control, I could overtake a slower car in front at the moment of my choosing, sometimes this would be at the last moment if I was hemmed in. But with ACC it takes my judgement away by slowing me down!

0 0 0

2. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my car (with the multifunctional steering wheel) there is a "Mode" button for the left thumb where I can toggle between regular cruise control and ACC. There should be something similar also in cars without the multi steering wheel.

/big_swede
    2016 Passat Alltrack TDI 190 DSG
    1994 Volvo 850 SE Estate

0 0 0

3. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    big swede

which mode button is that? I have GT trim and the buttons on multi steering wheel are

o/I for on and off
    mode for switching between ACC and speed limiter
    plus/minus buttons for incremental speed change
    set button
    res button
    and the centre button with image of a car that sets distance for ACC

none of these switch between regular cruise control and ACC as far as I can see.

Do you have a different button?

0 0 0

4. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Isn't the "mode for switching between ACC and speed limiter" the one you're looking for? "Speed limiter" being old fashioned cruise control?

/big_swede
    2016 Passat Alltrack TDI 190 DSG
    1994 Volvo 850 SE Estate

0 0 0

5. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    The speed limiter stops you going over a maximum speed rather than fixes you at a set speed which is what the old fashioned cruise control is.

You either have ACC which will vary your speed automatically up to the limit set by you depending on traffic or you have a speed limiter that requires you to use the accelerator and which will stop you going over the set speed ( unless you engage kick down by flooring the throttle which will disable it).

Only way to get standard Cruise is to get a car without the ACC.
    VW Passat GT 4 Motion 2.0 BiTdi, '16MY in Midnight Blue, keyless entry, memory seats, active info display and Discover Nav Pro
    Audi A7 20MY Vorsprung 3.0tdi in Daytona grey, with optional rear cup holders! (Previously A7 16my S Line)

0 0 0

6. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No speed limiter mode acts as just that - it won't let you accelerate past a set speed, but it doesn't maintain you at that speed - that is down to you to do that.
    Now: 2016 Passat SE Business Estate | V&C Pack | AID | DLA | TPMS
    Old: 2012 A4 Avant SE Technik | TDIe | Tech Pack High | Foldy Mirrors | TPMS | Heated Seats | Auto Hold

0 0 0

7. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Okay guys, thanks, I have my answer!

I guess I will need to set "distance" to a minimum and overtake in time.

I prefer to travel at my speed and not the speed of the car in front who wants to go slower. Having said that I can see there will be advantages to ACC on occasions.

0 0 0

8. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    To be honest I have had similar reservations about ACC as you, but I do think it's just something you have to get used to and adapt your driving to suit the way it works. Once you get used to it, then it works really well. I find the speed limiter function of little use, as it dumbs down the acceleration and responsiveness of the car as it prepares to not let you go past a limit about 10mph before the limit, which can be really frustrating.
    Now: 2016 Passat SE Business Estate | V&C Pack | AID | DLA | TPMS
    Old: 2012 A4 Avant SE Technik | TDIe | Tech Pack High | Foldy Mirrors | TPMS | Heated Seats | Auto Hold

0 0 0

9. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YawnGumbo View Post
    To be honest I have had similar reservations about ACC as you, but I do think it's just something you have to get used to and adapt your driving to suit the way it works. Once you get used to it, then it works really well. I find the speed limiter function of little use, as it dumbs down the acceleration and responsiveness of the car as it prepares to not let you go past a limit about 10mph before the limit, which can be really frustrating.
    Completely agree with you. When I first had speed limiter some years back I thought it would be good for the 50mph average speed cameras, but when you get people travelling at 45mph, at which they are entitled to do, it renders it useless!

0 0 0

10. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    For me this is the shortcoming with ACC. Even setting it to very close does not allow it to deal effectively with potential hemming in by slow overtakers.

However, if you apply your hoof gently to the accelerator just sufficiently to overcome the slight resistance you will see the ACC symbol greys out indicating it has been overidden. Lift off and the ACC symbol regains brightness indicating ACC has taken back control. By applying more force to the accelerator to overcome increased resistance you can get as much acceleration as you want at the cost of temporary loss of the ACC safety net (but AEB is still functional, I think). As soon as you lift off ACC takes back control. If you brake instead of lifting off you will have to resume ACC.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 1 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast