1. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Set the bar to the bottom of the display, furthest away from the car icon in the display. Seems counter intuitive but this is actually the closest distance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fm_carv View Post
    The ACC will always react quicker than any of us ever will
    Exactly, ACC will only react, but it will never anticipate.

0 0 0

3. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB247 View Post
    Set the bar to the bottom of the display, furthest away from the car icon in the display. Seems counter intuitive but this is actually the closest distance.
    That's right, although its not close enough for me. You can override it as I covered earlier in this thread but that reduces its value.

Overall, I'd rather have it than not and I use it in some circumstances VW advises against which I do not find problematic having read up on its limitations in the handbook. Its far from sufficiently developed for totally autonomous use though. On a couple of occasions I've been squawked at and "apply the brake" has come up on the MFD when there's been nothing else on the road and I've no idea what thinks its 'seen'; some foliage waving about maybe?

On one occasion it panicked when I was accelerating up a hill in France approaching a kink left with farm track going straight on with a vehicle parked on it and the ACC understandably assumed I was going straight on. If it was linked to the navigation and I had a route set I guess it should cope, but as the chance of me using the on board navigation in preference to Sygic on a 7" tablet is nix that would make no difference to its usefulness to me.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

4. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamichea View Post
    but as the chance of me using the on board navigation in preference to Sygic on a 7" tablet is nix that would make no difference to its usefulness to me.
    I don't like the inbuilt satnav one little bit, but would be interested to know where you keep the tablet when in use. At least the satnav is built in and that makes it convenient to use.

0 0 0

5. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I actually find the best time to use ACC is on long single carriageway roads. It's so relaxing being able to set it at 60mph, set the gap to quite large and let the car speed up and slow down according to the traffic (which inevitably doesn't travel at 60mph all the time). It makes it much less stressful. On motorways I still get a bit frustrated at times, but I just find I override it with the accelerator as required, almost treating it as normal cruise.
    Now: 2016 Passat SE Business Estate | V&C Pack | AID | DLA | TPMS
    Old: 2012 A4 Avant SE Technik | TDIe | Tech Pack High | Foldy Mirrors | TPMS | Heated Seats | Auto Hold

0 0 0

6. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgironde View Post
    I don't like the inbuilt satnav one little bit, but would be interested to know where you keep the tablet when in use. At least the satnav is built in and that makes it convenient to use.
    I actually don't find the inbuilt satnav at all convenient as I have to be in the car to program it, its too low in the dash and the screen is landscape.These are longstanding issues for me and why I have used external devices since early 2006, starting with a Dell PDA and always using the Brodit mount system. Also I notice update difficulties reported on here whereas Sygic just updates automatically across all my devices from the Google Playstore.

On the B8 I am using this car specific Pro-clip http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...ssat&year=2016
    I have mounted it at the extreme left of the driver side central vent. Like all Pro-clips I have used it provides a solid vibration free foundation even for a seven inch tablet.

I am using this device specific holder for my gen.2 Nexus 7 http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...s%207%20(2013)
    This is a passive holder. There is an active version (i.e incorporating charger).

I also incorporate their Move clip so I can easily remove the holder, mount different devices on the same Pro-clip and mount the devices in different vehicles similarly equipped.

I had my service dealer run a USB charge cable from a switched fuse box supply to exit in the steering column cowl from where it is a short run to the device. They also ran an unswitched supply for the dashcam at the same time.

Hope that helps.
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.

0 0 0

7. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamichea View Post
    I actually don't find the inbuilt satnav at all convenient as I have to be in the car to program it, its too low in the dash and the screen is landscape.These are longstanding issues for me and why I have used external devices since early 2006, starting with a Dell PDA and always using the Brodit mount system. Also I notice update difficulties reported on here whereas Sygic just updates automatically across all my devices from the Google Playstore.

On the B8 I am using this car specific Pro-clip http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...ssat&year=2016
    I have mounted it at the extreme left of the driver side central vent. Like all Pro-clips I have used it provides a solid vibration free foundation even for a seven inch tablet.

I am using this device specific holder for my gen.2 Nexus 7 http://www.brodit.com/product.html?i...s%207%20(2013)
    This is a passive holder. There is an active version (i.e incorporating charger).

I also incorporate their Move clip so I can easily remove the holder, mount different devices on the same Pro-clip and mount the devices in different vehicles similarly equipped.

I had my service dealer run a USB charge cable from a switched fuse box supply to exit in the steering column cowl from where it is a short run to the device. They also ran an unswitched supply for the dashcam at the same time.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for that very informative post.

I would find it very difficult to ignore a built in Sat Nav due to its built in flexiblility although I wish the model was better.

You mention about having to be in the car to program it? If you set up CarNet correctly you can load your destinations from the comfort of your laptop indoors and when you are next in the car, and it detects your phone for wifi, it downloads them automatically into the sat nav unit.

I know you drive in Europe a lot and I found it infuriating with my Kenwood sat nav that whilst postcode search was easy for a UK destination, finding locations in France was tear your hair out time. However, searching through the carnet interface on my laptop is good, this is because it is highly predictive on the search function and seems to find everything straight away.

0 0 0

8. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can always plug in an android phone, use Android Auto and display google maps navigation on the centre screen?

0 0 0

9. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgironde View Post
    Thanks for that very informative post.

I would find it very difficult to ignore a built in Sat Nav due to its built in flexiblility although I wish the model was better.

You mention about having to be in the car to program it? If you set up CarNet correctly you can load your destinations from the comfort of your laptop indoors and when you are next in the car, and it detects your phone for wifi, it downloads them automatically into the sat nav unit.

I know you drive in Europe a lot and I found it infuriating with my Kenwood sat nav that whilst postcode search was easy for a UK destination, finding locations in France was tear your hair out time. However, searching through the carnet interface on my laptop is good, this is because it is highly predictive on the search function and seems to find everything straight away.
    This is the first car I have owned with built in Sat Nav. I did not want it at all but I did want the GT spec. of which it is a part.

I have not looked into Car Net at all as its brief description in the sales literature suggested to me it was just a load of POIs. I'll have a look. Destinations are not the issue. Its the routes that interest me. I think we all know Sat Navs produce some odd results at times. When we we go abroad I will have the routes for all the stages set up and stored as favourites so I don't get any nasty surprises and I am guided the way I want to go. I do my planning on a desktop using ViaMichelin's route planner which I like a lot. I only use navigation in the UK when covering unfamiliar territory. I will have CameraAlert running and maybe Sygic just for the map display.

French postcodes are useless for navigation because they cover such large areas.

0 0 0

10. Re: Adaptive Cruise Control 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB247 View Post
    You can always plug in an android phone, use Android Auto and display google maps navigation on the centre screen?
    Believe it or not I have never found a need to interface a phone with a car. I do not make or accept calls while actually driving under any circumstances.

Doesn't google maps just provide a moving atlas which means it does not provide turn by turn navigation?

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast