1. Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So i had a screw enter my brand new. Week old tyre.
    I put the foam in that comes with tourans.
    Drove to a garage who said it wasnt fixable.
    So i drove home and looked up a replacment. Rang another garage and drove 6 miles to get a new one fitted. He claimed that it was easily repairable as it hadnt swollen or drove flat.
    Plugged it from the outside in seconds.
    My question is.
    Is it safe to drive 70+ with the foam still inside the tyre? Or do i need a new one

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    That's bad luck on a new tyre, I'd be still looking to get that tyre removed and all the gunk cleaned off the rim and tyre if possible, new valve, and the plug checked from the inside. I've only ever seen plugs pulled through in to out and a patch glued down on the inside end of the plug, not sure how your plug was fixed or glued in securely, if the tyre foam was already in the screw hole.
    Personally I'd be looking to get the above done before hitting a motorway. I think that foam creates more problems than it solves.

0 1 0

3. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Exactly what i was thinking. Gonna take it to a different garage. Have the tyre removed and cleaned. Then check the plug.
    If you go on ebay and type in. Puncture kit.
    Thats the kinda thing he used. Push a rubber piece coated in a rubber glue into the hole and then pulled half way back out. Then trimmed off.
    Plugged up excellent. But i just dont trust it with the car being a 7 seater and is constantly used on motorways with 7 passengers.
    The tyre will soon be replaced. Pain in ar$£
    I dont have the funds at hand yet so will have to keep the car at home until sorted.

0 0 0

4. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    you have had a temporary repair carried out . the tyre has not been removed to check for internal damage. this is worrying. these plugs are not a permanent repair. the stuff you put in the tyre basically rules out a proper repair though.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I need to get the tyre checked inaide .
    I might aswell have it changed.

0 1 0

6. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    55 quid gone

0 0 0

7. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    cheap price to pay knowing your family are safe.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

8. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    True. But i dont have 55 quid spare at the moment. So guess its a park up and wait for day job

0 0 0

9. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Putting the tyre foam in was the 1st mistake, as it virtually renders the tyre useless.
    Tyre plug kits are common place especially on motorcycles, with "stop and go" plug kits and tyre worms/strings being the commonest, and IF used correctly will last the life of the tyre. I carry the Stop and go kit, and a "genuine Innovations" air chuck (inflator) that used 45g CO2 cartridges. The 45g will provide enough gas to inflate a car tyre to working pressure, and if nessesary seat a tyre bead, something a 12v tyre inflator is unlikely to do.

0 0 0

10. Re: Puncture repaired help!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    you have had a temporary repair carried out . the tyre has not been removed to check for internal damage. this is worrying. these plugs are not a permanent repair. the stuff you put in the tyre basically rules out a proper repair though.
    Are you sure? I've used that foam before (albeit another brand) and I've found it depends which shop you go to. A local 'genuine' shop will usually wash it out (or in my case, gave me a rag and made me wash it out ), Kwik Fit and the like will tell you that you've ruined the tyre, which I find hard to believe. All the foam does is make a latex skin around the inside of the tyre doesn't it?

As for driving above the recommended 30mph. I've done it several times. In my opinion, you should drive above 30mph, because that's the best way to get an even spread across the tyre. The slower you drive, the more it curdles into one place. They test those foams at well above 30mph, ultimately, it's about ticking the right healthy and safety + don't sue me boxes.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast