Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi folks,

My Touran is a 2007 57 plate 2.0 tdi sport think it's the BKD engine with 137k on the clock. For the last few weeks it's been producing a grey/blue smoke when cold and stationary. This usually happens at the first set of lights or lengthy stop after setting off when the engine is cold and is getting gradually worse. I've noticed that this is preceded by a small engine judder and then smoke comes pouring out. Once up to normal running temp the smoke disappears.

I have noticed that the engine idle has become rather lumpy at all times recently and it is now burning oil though I haven't really measured how much it's using. I've also noticed an oil drip from a hose at the front of the engine behind the bumper which I think is the intercooler hose.

Garage I use for MOTs etc won't touch Diesel engines other than servicing and other guy I use is proving a bit elusive so before I try other garages I wondered if anyone had some pointers for the issues I'm getting?

I'm thinking could it be piston rings, cylinder head, turbo issues or EGR etc though the turbo was replaced by the previous owner at 120k.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome and would really appreciate suggestions for good garages around the Birmingham area.

Cheers.
    Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 VW Touran Sport 2.0 TDI
    Pumpkin Android headunit

1990 Mk2 Golf Driver 1.6, 1999 Passat SE 1.9 TDI, 2006 Passat Sport 2.0 TDI and 2012 Passat Est Sport 2.0 TDI - all gone but not forgotten.

0 0 0

2. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I would be surprised if it was ring/piston/valve related, the BKD is a study unit not prone to any issues like that. My first thought would be the oil burning is turbo related, new or not as these certainly are prone to issues. I would get a code read done to see if anything relevant shows up. Small amounts of oil weeping from connections on the charge air system are quite normal.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Sorry it's been a while. Scan showed no obvious faults so jumped in and booked the car in with a local independent I use every now and then. Turns out the issues were caused by the turbo. The mechanic called it scrap and said there's no way it's only been on the car for 20k miles and probably a 2nd hand breakers yard special put straight on. Also the EGR is coked up so I'm wondering do I clean it up, replace it, or remove it? I've seen two methods either blanking it off with blanking plates or removing completely with a deletion kit (obviously then need to get the ECU remapped to remove the EGR). I know there's loads on mixed info on here but anyone done this on a BKD in a Touran?

Pumpkin Android headunit

1990 Mk2 Golf Driver 1.6, 1999 Passat SE 1.9 TDI, 2006 Passat Sport 2.0 TDI and 2012 Passat Est Sport 2.0 TDI - all gone but not forgotten.

0 0 0

4. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Don't remove it, that is illegal.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ah ok. So clean it up and put it back on and hope it doesn't kill the new turbo too quickly is the only option then?

Pumpkin Android headunit

0 0 0

6. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    If going in there I would recommend a new V157 flap and EGR valve such as a Febi 44945 (typically £190) and 39713 (typically £90) as the V157 has to come off first and cleaning both these out is a disgusting filthy job, I had to do one yesterday (odd circumstances) and it took hours of soaking in TFR and wire bore brush scrubbing, vile! Also, the V157 is very prone to failing and it knocks out the cooling fan control system.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Is that what causes an electronic ticking noise for a few seconds when turning the engine off? No overrun but do get this every now and then (once or twice a week maybe usually after a lengthy run).

Pumpkin Android headunit

0 0 0

8. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Yes the V157 acts as an anti shudder valve but is also used by the ECU for EGR flow control. In the event of a diesel runaway, the V157 also acts as a safety device.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    You wouldn't happen to have a photo would you?

Pumpkin Android headunit

0 0 0

10. Re: Touran burning oil and bad smoke when running cold 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I've had to change two V157 or antishudder / intake throttle flaps, seem prone to failing, as Crasher says, pre cursor was ticking then randon buzzing, even when ignition was off.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast