1. Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We moved to Spain in December, bought some land and a fresh car - Fabia 1.4 16V (2006)
    Fantastic car. Anyway, it was impounded by the port police for two months - too long and boring a story to go into.
    We've had the car back for about two weeks now and everything is fine except that two days ago it started to occasionally misfire when idling and also when driving.

Fuel filter?
    Plugs?
    ECU connector?
    Coil/distributor problem?
    Can I download a decent workshop manual for this engine?
    Does this engine go by a particular name or refrence?

Any help or ideas gladly received )

0 0 0

2. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to VWAF or as the Brits in Spain say, Hello

Quote Originally Posted by nolfese View Post
    We moved to Spain in December, bought some land and a fresh car - Fabia 1.4 16V (2006)
    Fantastic car. Anyway, it was impounded by the port police for two months - too long and boring a story to go into.
    We've had the car back for about two weeks now and everything is fine except that two days ago it started to occasionally misfire when idling and also when driving.
    Could be any of your proposed ideas but...

The engine in the Fabia is used across the VAG range but there are a few variants. Do you know if it's the 75PS or the 101PS engine?

The wife's Ibiza has a BBY 1.4 16v with 75PS. I know my way round it fairly well after 13 years and we've experienced all manner of problems over the years.

When was it last serviced? If you don't know, get it done, it's a fairly simple DIY.

Any faults present/warning lights on? Either grab a code reader or get it scanned by someone.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How can I know whether it's a 75PS or 101PS engine?
    Where is the OBD2 connector located for reading the codes?

0 0 0

4. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    OBD socket Should be right hand side of steering column, sort of above where your right knee would be, maybe behind a little lift down flap. service book data sticker should show the PS, maybe a sticker on the drivers door pillar or spare wheel well ?

Several years ago I bought a 2005 1.4 16V polo, think it was a BKY engine (maybe wrong) with 50 odd k on the clock which had been outside in storage for about 4 months, it ran fine initially but 50 miles into the 250 mile drive home it started misfiring ( and broke a front suspension coil spring!) . one of the coil packs had failed, AA man changed it then 100 miles later another one failed. I don't know if having the car standing for so long contributed to the packs failing ( damp ingress ???) and they all seem to be prone to failing eventually, but it seemed too coincidental to have two fail in quick succession. New coil packs cured it, you should see something with an OBD scanner.
    hopefully it's something as simple as a coil pack and not throttle body or burnt out exhaust valves.

sorry - just thinking - left hand drive - it'll be somewhere round about the steering column though.

0 1 0

5. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I found the OBD connector rather stealthily and cleverly hidden behind a flap.
    Can't find a PS sticker. Only thing there is - reference to the engine power in the log book: 10.7CV 55KW
    And how in the blue blazes do you take the engine cover (huge air cleaner) off. I suppose riving it is out of the question. It seems to have screws going up into it which are impossible to access with it in place.

0 0 0

6. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    the engine cover does just pop off, work it a corner at a time, you'll have to disconnect a small hose that goes into the filter box, but the cover itself is just held on with ball ended rods into rubber sockets. the screws are what holds the air filter inside the filter box. 55kW is the 75ps engine

0 0 0

7. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rob's on the right track. Coilpack would be my guess too (I've changed all four over the years) but without a code read, I wouldn't throw money at it yet.

We had a front coilspring go too. Car was stationary on the drive at the time, almighty bang.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

1 0 0

8. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    I did 3 front coils over the 40 k miles or so I ran it, got pretty slick at it, also did both on previous 6N polo. something about them maybe???

0 0 0

9. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So I'll order a OBD2 CAN BUS code reader from ebay and we'll see what the ECU has to say.
    Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

0 0 0

10. Re: Fabia 1.4 16v 2006 Misfiring 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So we've established that this the 75PS engine - even though it's a 1.4 16V, is that right?
    Anyway, where would a man find a workshop manual for this beast? Preferably online of course.....

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast