Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    Hi,

No, I have not added an extra amplifier. I looked into it and too much work, especially I cannot find a line output from the sound processor which has built in amp driving the speaker in the basic stereo. I recon an additional amp would not add that much to the sound quality. The major problem is that the tweeter speakers are at the wrong place (i.e in the dashboard, firing towards the windscreen), thus without changing the location of the tweeter, I got as good as setup/quality as I will get.

I recon only if you have bass rich music you listen to, maybe you can consider an extra amp for the subwoofer. In this case I would change the subwoofer speaker to good quality 8" one (look Wolek setup) and add an amp and with the amp you can setup/change the volume of the subwoofer as there is no subwoofer adjustment is the MMI in the basic stereo. You have to get the subwoofer signal from the speaker output (no line output for sub either).

0 0 0

2. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. I think I will go for your solution with the Audison speakers. You are right when in comes to the tweeter, they are totally in the wrong place, but I want to use the original locations for all speakers.

When it comes to the subwoofer, I have the e-tron version and have far less space than on the normal Q7. The diesel tank is placed where the spare tire is normally. I have to do a little bit research before I decide what to do.

0 0 0

3. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I am going to upgrade the base sound system subwoofer and looking for advice/opinions from anybody else who has done this. I've ordered the following woofers:

Hertz ev165L.5 (as per anemeth's post)
    Hertz ev165l.5 165 mm Mid-Bass Woofer 16 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Kicker Comp RT672 (dual coils at 2ohm, so will be wired in series to 4 ohm)
    Kicker Comp RT672Â*extra flat 16.5Â*cm subwoofer: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The latter is 150W RMS, and I'm unsure if the factory amp will be powerful enough to drive it. One of the earlier posts mentioned total output of 195W RMS, but nothing specific about the subwoofer.

Also, anemeth mentioned sound insulation in his install. From the pictures, it looks like acoustic insulation wool. I was thinking of adding closed cell foam behind the woofer to aid with sound deadening.

Any feedback from anybody who has upgraded the stock sound system with a 6.5 inch sub would be great. At the moment, having had the BOSE in a previous gen Q7, I'm extremely disappointed with the sound output from the new gen Q7.

0 0 0

4. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    If you love bass, the Hertz 165mm does not do it. Maybe because I already replaced the door 8" speakers with Audison speakers, thus getttin more mid-bass, but changing the speaker in the subwoofer did not add substantial change to the bass.

Maybe upgrading to 8" in the subwoofer would help. As I am not in heavy bass music, I stopped to do anything more on this audio.

0 0 0

5. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anemeth View Post
    If you love bass, the Hertz 165mm does not do it. Maybe because I already replaced the door 8" speakers with Audison speakers, thus getttin more mid-bass, but changing the speaker in the subwoofer did not add substantial change to the bass.

Maybe upgrading to 8" in the subwoofer would help. As I am not in heavy bass music, I stopped to do anything more on this audio.
    Would you say the Hertz 165mm made any difference whatsoever? Even more clarity? Unfortunately, upgrading the door speakers is not really an option, as this is a leased car. The subwoofer can be replaced quite easily with OEM, but obviously need to stick to the 165mm size (so 8" is not an option).

0 0 0

6. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    "Would you say the Hertz 165mm made any difference whatsoever?"

Not in my case, but as I mentioned I already changed the door speakers, thus I cannot judge what it would do alone in the subwoofer only.

0 0 0

7. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    "Would you say the Hertz 165mm made any difference whatsoever?"

Not in my case, but as I mentioned I already changed the door speakers, thus I cannot judge what it would do alone in the subwoofer only.
    Ok, thanks. Hopefully someone who has upgraded only the sub would be able to comment.

Any thoughts on running a 150W RMS sub using the stock amplifier? Or is it just not capable in your opinion?

0 0 0

8. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    150W RMS would not be out of the sub/base audio per speaker, but better/higher rated speaker is better.

If you want bass, I can see 3 options:

1, change the stock 165mm speaker in the subwoofer to a good quality one
    2, as you do not want to cut the stock subwoofer box, you can buy a secondhand one from Germany for 50 euro and cut that one, change the speaker to 8" and replace the subwoofer box as one unit. You can change back when the lease is over.
    3, as the subwoofer volume is not adjustable in base audio, you can add an amplifier to option 2, thus you can adjust the sub volume yourself.

0 0 0

9. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    you can buy a secondhand one from Germany for 50 euro and cut that one, change the speaker to 8" and replace the subwoofer box as one unit. You can change back when the lease is over.
    I didn't consider that - good tip.

I'll try both of the subs linked above and post back on how I get on.

I am considering using the closed cell foam to both seal the speaker to the mdf, but also to deaden the panels behind and around the sub. I saw you used acoustic wool - not knowing much about this stuff, would you advise me purchasing some?

0 0 0

10. Re: Upgrading factory 'Audi Audio' DIY 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)
    My understanding that it should be open cell foem, not closed behind the speaker and closed cell for sealing the speaker. Look for foam supplyer in your area or on ebay.

0 0 0

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast