Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello all

Just a quick one really, im off to look at a Seat exeo sport Cr Tdi 168 tomorrow, i just wanted to know if there is anything i should look for so i don't pick up a lemon.
    I currently own a Saab 9-3ss which as comfy and reliable as it is the mpg is lacking and due to having a family on the way im looking at the estates for more practicality, i was going to go down the saab estate route (very good value for money at the moment) but as i know my cheap gm plastic is deteriorating rapidly im looking for something else.

I really like the style of the Seat and the size and kit you get is pretty good for the money and have heard good things about the engine/ chassis side.

The particular one im looking at had done just over 100k miles and has just been serviced and a new cambelt fitted, im going to make sure the service history is all intact and go from there.

Any pointers or anything i can check etc would be great as id like to keep this for at least the next 5-10 years. Member of the family had the a4 avant and has done 100k in the last 11 years of ownership slight bit of rust on a wing but that was it.

so yeah any help will be much appreciated

cheers all

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    well after going for a decent test drive i thought great car smooth quiet, handles well and decent quality interior. had it up to working temp no issues until a tpms error showed up told the dealer they said not a problem well have it sorted.
    picked the car up yesterday tpms was apparently sorted 50 miles later tpms comes back on and about an hour and a half into driving home im sat in traffic rolll down the window and there's a dreadful tapping/rattle coming from a car i then realised it was the seat, so 2 issues.

Ive let the car stand for a few hours in between ringing the dealer went back to start it no noise let it idle for a bit and after being again up to temperature for a bout 20mins its making this loud tapping noise, its not rpm based as its slow at idle but loud quietens if i increase revs by say 200-300rpm then gets loud at about 1500 and after that seems to quieten has a distinct tap/rattle to it its odd as its coming from the drivers side area.

Does any one have any ideas what this could be before i take the 2 hour drive back to the dealers for a refund.

0 0 0

3. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    does the tapping change or go if you press the clutch in? I'm thinking dual mass flywheel fault, in which case I'd be looking for refund.

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply and no its the same with clutch in or out, id hope its not he dmf as its apparently they have just done;
    dmf
    cambelt- tensioner
    water pump
    oil and filter change
    and a software update

although ive now found paperwork that they didn't show me stating engine upgrade, DPF and EGR delete which as ive always had petrols ive got no idea why delete them i know what they do but im a tad concerned they've just done the delete rather than either clean the dpf or fit a new one (they have gone the cheap route rather than fix the issue)

I've just been out in it up the bypass a few times 20 miles total, sat in 4th at 55-60 just in case it was the dpf read about noisy dpfs on the here and clearing them out was no where near as noisy no tap on idle only when slight throttle or blipping so about 1200rpm- 1400rpm after that no noise so no idea (that was before i found the paperwork).

I'l be ringing them shortly when they open as im not happy with the dpf and egr being removed without my knowledge and now did a vin check its on the emissions recall list with the vw scandal. Although on a twist the issue for some was fixed with a software update from seat but the fact it only does it when its been hot for a while rather than constant is odd.

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    how old is this exeo ?
    go to the back of it and stick a digit in the end of the tailpipe and wipe it round a bit. if said finger comes out clean then the dpf is present and correct. if it comes out black then there is no dpf.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 1 0

6. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Hard to say what this tapping is without being next to the car but it could be an active dpf regen, I'm not that familiar with the CR engines and their usual 'noises', but an active regen can change the engine tone a bit.
    I'd be pretty concerned if the dpf and egr has been deleted, quote here from quick google of dpf removal legality, there's loads of info out there regarding dpf and egr deletion.
    In October 2013 Robert Goodwill, roads minister, announced that garages and testing stations will be required check for a DPF as part of the MoT test from February 2014. The vehicle will automatically fail test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is no longer present.
    I think you'd be within your rights for a refund if the car has had the dpf deleted or tampered with.

0 0 0

7. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cheers rob
    ive rang the warranty company and have emailed them the whole situation , technically insurance and road tax due to higher emissions are now all null and void and due to the dealer i brought it off actually carrying out the work and not telling me when i purchased it (i have the receipt of removal) they are liable.

they have done the cheap option removed the egr and dpf and remap cost them £275 whereas a new dpf would have cost circa £700 and the egr about £100 so not pleased.

Well see what they have to say. if they cover the costs and carry out the rectification rather than me going to VOSA or trading standards il be happy but i can see it being a ball ache.

0 0 0

8. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well took it for a run and sounded better defiantly still only doing it once hot , you have the engine tappets and the normal noise then the sound of a almost stick injector but as its not constant and only does it when hot I'm a bit miffed and only at certain rpms
    1 September 2016 - YouTube

Quick vid it's not clear but you can just about make it out

Definitely from left of engine ie injectors, whatever this silver thing is on the side and the turbo/dpf bit

0 0 0

9. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)
    Sorry bud, but I'd be getting my money back on that car, regardless of them offering to rectify their 'mod'. I think there's a whole heap of trouble in store with that engine and you'll be left with the bills, especiall y as you intended to keep it longer term.

1 1 0

10. Re: Advice please 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    best advice is to get a car inspected by one of the many peoples that do car inspections, aa, rac etc..
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast