Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Question Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have decided to fix up my car from all the issues it has as I'll be keeping it for another year, from the first few days that I bought this car this issue occurred to me. When the car is cold and you drive first few miles its all fine, however after long drives or going heavy on the throttle, the car likes to die when in neutral and pulling up to a stop, then when idling the RPM's are very unstable hovering between 900-1100. I did a little reading and heard it could be the lambda sensor, some people also said cleaning the throttle body can help. I was wondering if anyone had similar trouble.

I'll post a link to a video I quickly recorded to show this issue, which also you can hear a ticking noise coming from the left hand side. Its much louder on the camera than it actually is when standing by the car but I am curious to what it could be and if its an easy fix. The car has 162,000 miles on the clock, which I assume for a petrol engine is quite a lot but apparently has been serviced well, at least for past few years.

Thanks in Advance,
    Mac.

Edit: Also as you can see towards the end of the video, after I rev it up and the RPM's are falling down to 1k, they like to dip below 1k and thats when sometimes the car will shut off, no matter if driving or stop. When RPM's are falling especially when dropping into neutral when driving high revs.

1 0 0

2. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    ive just fixed a vw golf 1.6 today with the same symptoms it was caused by a faulty Egr valve the fault was caused by excess carbon deposits.

1 0 0

3. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Im assuming you replaced the egr valve completely with a new one? If so, was it a costly expense? Or is it a matter of giving it a good clean etc?

1 0 0

4. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The new egr valve cost around £166.00 for a pierberg one i didnt clean the old one as i already sold the car to my mates son. I frequently buy and sell Vw vehicles as a secound job.

1 0 0

5. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I have a Golf MK4 1.6. It has the same problem. The EPC light comes on then the revs fluctuate between 900-1100. The engine goes off in the middle of the highway! Or in traffic while driving slowly. Yesterday I started the engine but when I stepped on the gas pedal, no response. Throttle was cleaned and after the engine cooled down, the accelerator pedal responded. But the RPM still fluctuates. This problem recurs mainly when the temperatures are high like at lunch time.
    We run diagnostics and the following codes appeared;
    1. 18010 - P1602 - POWER SUPPLY (B+) TERMINAL 30:LOW VOLTAGE
    2. 17850 - P1442 - EGR VALVE POSITION SENSOR (B) CIRCUIT HIGH
    3. 17978 - P1570 - ENGINE CONTROL MODULE DISABLED
    4. 17972 - P1564 - THROTTLE VALVE CONTROL PART-J338: INSUFFICIENT VOLTAGE DURING BASIC SETTING
    5. 17950 - P1542 - ANGLE SENDER 1 FOR THROTTLE VALVE DRIVE-G187:IMPLAUSIBLE SIGNAL
    6. 17987 - P1579 - THROTTLE VALVE CONTROL MODULE-J338:ADAPTATION NOT STARTED
    7. 17581 - P1544 - ANGLE SENDER 2 FOR THROTTLE VALVE DRIVE-G187:SIGNAL TOO HIGH
    8. 17952 - P1544 - ANGLE SENDER 1 FOR THROTTLE VALVE DRIVE-G187:SIGNAL TOO HIGH
    9. 16486 - P0102 - MASS AIR FLOW CIRCUIT-G70:LOW INPUT
    10. 16497 - P0113 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 1 CIRCUIT-G42 HIGH

What could be the issue?
    Thanks in advance.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Check the battery voltage with the engine running. Do those codes clear and then come back? Remember, do not unplug anything with the ignition on as this can store spurious fault codes.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher. I will get back with the outcome.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, sorry it took so long to get reply.
    I finally got back and checked the battery voltage. When the car is on, 13.97. When the car is off, 12.48.

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf 1.6 unstable RPM, ticking noise, car sometimes dies when coming to a stop. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    After watching your video it seams to me like either a fuel problem or inlet manifold seal leak which is a common issue on high mileage engines. A faulty o2 sensor causes hunting due to the ecu being sent the Wrong signal try checking this via live data if possible if that fine check the manifold seal.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast