Notices

User Tag List

Thread: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Yes, indeed, my car is a 2002 Seat Toledo with AZD engine.
    I've sent you some more info in a private message.

0 0 0

2. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    It was built 9th January 2002 so yes it is a 2002 model and my system shows under what is called "FI Suggestion" that it needs EGR valve VAG part number 036 131 503 T which is a SIDAT 83.627 in the later revised design or their older versions 83.4627 and 83.627UE but personally I would only fit a Pierburg 7.28248.17.0, basically you have the wrong EGR valve.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    You must be kidding.. the car part store said it is the right one and even the mechanic said there must be something with the car's ECU (or something..) because it cannot be adapted.. Thank you very much for the information, your support is simply wunderful! So, the SIDAT EGR valve is there in my car for a year now, I cannot go back to the store to swap it.. the Pierburg 7.28248.17.0 costs 10% of the whole car's value :\ I must be 100% sure I need the new EGR. I mean I'm now 100% sure the EGR in the car is *not* for the car. The ECU says there is a problem with the valve so it won't use it -> the OBDII test won't run -> I don't have CEL on. This is nice. But.. what is the drawback of this situation? The EGR is there for a reason, the engine has been designed to have an EGR valve and other parts are designed with this dependency. Engineers are not stupid.. The exhaust gases are decreasing the combustion temperature so the engine block is getting less temperature load which is nice (aluminum block.. less fraying, less deformation, less wear if I'm not mistaken..) but it also means some "choking" because it has less oxygen in it (almost nothing..) and thus the ECU (according to the O2 sensor measurements) will inject less fuel as well so the engine is running with less gasoline injected (with "less power", more economically and environmentally friendly?) at part throttle. In my country this car has passed the emission testing (tailpipe test) with this EGR valve in April.. so.. my question is: how harmful is it for the car/engine to leave the EGR as it is, without adaptation and in an unusable condition? I'm just wondering if this will me "money well spent", worth the costs (this is a 14+ years old car, probably spending 10% of the whole car's value on such a part is not "thrifty", if you know what I mean).
    Last edited by crok; 17-08-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Typos and grammar errors.. I'm not a native english speaker..

0 0 0

4. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Using your VIN in the VAG system ETKA it picks the parts for cars based on their details, the system specifically states your car needs the valve suffix T and the SIDAT value you gave me a number for cross references back on the system Tec Doc to suffix M which is for cars upto 2001 so yes, in my opinion you have the wrong valve. When repairing a car, you cannot buy parts or pay labour bills based on the cars current market value, that method or maintenance will quickly lead to a scrapped car. We get this with big Audi's when people whine about jobs such as a set of rear discs/pads/calipers on a 4F A6 costing half what the car is worth and I try to convey to them that it is not a £4K car, it is a £40K car, an old £40K car; cars don't get cheaper and easier to repair as they get older, it gets worse. the EGR valve is there for emissions compliance which is a good thing but the emissions it reduces (NOX) are not subject to any annual test. No, I have no understanding of the concept "thrifty", I am not from Scotland.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I will get a Pierburg valve soon. Thank you for all info and support, much appreciate it!!

0 0 0

6. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    If possible, plug it in and adapt it before you fit or even buy it.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    For the record: a Pierburg 7.28248.17.0 EGR valve solved the issue. Thank you, Crasher!

0 0 0

8. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    One of my young mechanics recently bought a 2002 Leon with the AZD engine and it had been taken off the road because the previous owner could not get it to run. I got him to take home a new EGR valve and the VCDS cable and he fitted it at home and it ran fine for a while and then went loopy again. He got it into work and I could tell it was EGR just listening to it, we took off the new valve and operated it off the car at which point a piece of ferrous metal fell into view in the port. On the workshop system there is a warning about cast iron swarf from the exhaust manifold entering the valve but that was for new cars, it had taken 15 years for this piece of swarf to get into the valve.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    This information makes me curious - I mean you have 30+ years of experience (as far as I know) in VW and you tell me the same as some others in my community in Hungary and Eastern-Europe.. Russia!.. This metallic piece of swarf.. stuck into the EGR valve.. Me and lot of members in the hungarian community have experienced this phenomenon, and also I saw a video from a russian guy on Youtube who has removed the exhaust manifold and shows the issue: GOLF 4 Bora AZD 1.6 V16 ИЗ ЗРКÐТÐЛИЗÐТОÐ*РПОÐ*Ð’ÐЛО ГÐ*Ðœ - YouTube Yes, I know the pieces are coming off of the end of the manifold in the video but I tell you we all saw the same shape, size and colour of metallic swarf.. in the EGR valve.. so somehow it got escape on the EGR port on the manifold (turbulence in the manifold? God knows..)

So you have a young mechanic there with a car that has an AZD engine? Can I somehow get in contact with him? I would like to ask him to do me a favor and give me some values from his car.

0 0 0

10. Re: AZD engine (1.6 16V petrol) - EGR basic settings cannot be performed (adaptation error every time) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Yes it was bizarre that we found this big chunk of ferrous metal in the brand new Pierburg EGR valve, it was old burnt and rusty so it must have come from the inside of the exhaust manifold

Quote Originally Posted by crok View Post
    So you have a young mechanic there with a car that has an AZD engine?
    His name is Leon and he drives a ..... Leon....

This is the TPI as provided by Seat

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast