1. Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Went to a local garage chain with my 2005 a4 TDI quattro, and failed mot with a broken rear coil spring. Never notiuced it as only the top coil is broken. Anyway question is they are trying to charge 150 quid for the replacement per side, and they want and 50 for a wheel alignment. Is the wheel alignment required? I thought this was only if you lowered the car. 350 is a lottrlottra dollar for one spring. I also failed last year on a ball joint, 150 quid plus 50 for an alignmnent... You can see what I'm thinking.. ThankjThankjs in advance.

0 0 0

2. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    It has a camber adjuster concentric bolt on the hub which needs to come out to give access to the spring. If you mark the bolt prior to removing and it goes back in exactly the same place it shouldn't be a problem. I did this when I replaced mine and haven't had any issues.
    The costs seems a little high tbh. A garage could do each side in 1 hour on a ramp. I got KYB springs about 35 quid a side iirc.
    wheel alignment- a garage wouldn't want you coming back in 3 month complaining of worn out tyres...again 50 notes seems quite high....depends where you live in the UK?

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

3. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    i did it without altering the camber adjuster bolt by lowering the subframe down and compressing the spring,if you are handy you can do it by getting a secondhand one,just match the colour coding found at the bottom of the spring,the garage is giving you text book procedure by doing a wheel align.
    A4 B6,A4B7Quattro,MK4 Golf,MK5Golf gone and well forgotten,MK6Golf.

0 0 0

4. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevo View Post
    i did it without altering the camber adjuster bolt by lowering the subframe down and compressing the spring,if you are handy you can do it by getting a secondhand one,just match the colour coding found at the bottom of the spring,the garage is giving you text book procedure by doing a wheel align.
    Ta guys, is it necessary to do both springs?
    My point is the car is getting to an age where every mot requires some bush ball joint spring seal redoing and a 50 quid wheel alignment (this is kwikmfit, all local garages booked weeks in advance..)

0 0 0

5. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    Its 'best procedure' to replace both for new, although not entirely necessary.

Ian
    A4 B6 Avant Nogaro Blue

0 0 0

6. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    As above text book is replace both but as you say at this age its back on the road as cheaply as poss,get a secondhand one it'll be of a similar age and mileage and will sit ok,you can get away with wheel alignment,trouble is most large chains wont do it they want everything by the book,try a smaller garage,I got my spring for £25, original with the correct colour code.

0 0 0

7. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    so lets say the garage does one spring and no alignment, then 3 months later a rear tyre is worn out, yep, youve guessed it, the garage is to blame for not doing it properly. worse still, you have an accident where you lose the rear end of the car on a roundabout. yep, garages fault again for only replacing one spring.
    it doesnt matter how old the car is or what its worth, you have to pay to do the job properly or do it yourself.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

8. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Obviously if you take a chance and don't do it there's no come back.

0 0 0

9. Re: Wheel alignment required 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevo View Post
    Obviously if you take a chance and don't do it there's no come back.
    I found a garage who can do it without requiring a wheel alignment and for 130 quid and this week

0 1 0